Team Camaro Tech banner

torque wrenches

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Kurt S 
#1 ·
I don't know if its me, my torque wrench or what. I have a new craftsman click type torque wrench. My book says to tighten the carb bolts down to 12 ft lbs. Well I do and they are so loose i can put a wrench on them and still tighten em down easily. I set it at 30 ft lbs and a week later they had loosened up. It wasn't until I tightened them to about 40 ft lbs that they feel good. My concern is that when I go to tighten down some head bolts the torque won't be adequate. Can you recommend a good torque wrench or something else?

#2 ·
Are the bolts backing out or is the gasket compressing?If the bolts are backing out maybe some locktight in the threads would help.40 ft.lbs. just seems like alot,almost to much if it's an aluminum intake.Can you borrow a friends wrench and torque them,and see if another wrench tightens it more?Hey it's craftsman,you can always return it and get another.Thats all I could think of.

#4 ·
I went that route with a torque wrench I received for my B-day several years ago. After having the replacements(yes , more than one) break, I carried it back for a refund.It had to get ugly, with the store manager coming down to settle it, but I got the money back.Have been looking for a high quality one ever since.I guess I'll just get a bender bar type, and a cheap clicker for a backup.All total I had 4 different replacements and the original one from the above mentioned store.I don't plan on getting another one from them.

------------------

#5 ·
Joke,
Most torque wrenches are not very accurate at the extreme ends of their range. For instance, a 0-200 lb ft wrench will not be accurate at 20 lb ft. If you look at the accuracy ratings, even the best ones are usually plus or minus 5% That is 10lbs on a 200 lb wrench. Actually, at 12 lb ft I would be using an lb in torque wrench set at 144 lb inch.
Either way, if the carb bolts are coming loose at 40lbs...something is wrong. I would do as drake said and borrow another wrench to compare it to.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.