Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the engine running so I can bleed the air out of the power steering just installed and the engine just stopped for no reason. All systems are dead, lights, horn, ignition key, no power to anything. So what is the most likely problem. The battery is grounded and charged. There is power at the alternator. When turn the ignition key nothing happens, no clicks turn signals, everything is dead like there is no battery in the car. Is there a fusible link someplace need to check? In all my years have never seen anything like this. One minute running fine, next dead. No burnt wires or burnt smell suggesting a dead short.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Check the battery power wire to the horn relay. + battery is supplied off the small wire off the battery + side to a junction block on the core support . Check if the horn relay has power. If no power the issue is in that small wire.

Reactions: 130fe

·
14,265 Posts
Check for power at the horn relay buss bar. If no power check the terminal on the radiator support.

Reactions: 130fe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have power at the relay, so guess next is to pull the dash and see whats up at the ign switch. Horn dead, lights dead, ignition dead, dash dead

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No neutral safety switch and firewall plugins look ok. Was just sitting there running as was going to bleed the power steering pump and it just quit. wasn't even in the car. Was just like turned the key off.

·
14,265 Posts
Check the firewall connector. And make sure the wires are fully engaged in the connector itself

·
Super Moderator
32,604 Posts
As suggested, check red wire into firewall connector on both sides.
You have power on alt BATT stud, so wires are good to there and I would say to firewall connector as OE splice in in harness between alt and firewall.
STOP light fuse is good place to check as stop lights have battery power.
However, it never hurts removing red wires at battery junction block and buss bar and wire brush all and reconnect.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
If you are just checking continuity you may miss a faulty connector.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mystery deepens. Drop my steering column to pull the gauge panel and re route my tach wires while I'm at it. and mysteriously end up with power. finish the tach wires and put the steering column back up. no power to anything. So figure something to do with the steering column. Drop the column again, check out the plug coming out of it, and look over the wires no problems, but still no power, even with the column down . So still at a loss as to what is going on. All the wires coming out of the column look good and wires all tight in the plug etc. All wires at the plug are dead. Is there a main breaker , or something in the wiring that could be the culprit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
getting closer, Problem seems to be the firewall plug, and have power momentarily, but now RS headlight doors won't close, but at lest know where to look. Just getting at that plug a real pain with power brakes. Appreciate all the suggestions. /
Charles

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,501 Posts
getting closer, Problem seems to be the firewall plug, and have power momentarily, but now RS headlight doors won't close, but at lest know where to look. Just getting at that plug a real pain with power brakes. Appreciate all the suggestions. /
Charles
It is a major pain accessing the plug. After removing the plug and cleaning the connections
reassemble with die-electric grease. I would spray the contacts with a cleaner specific for the
purpose.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It is a major pain accessing the plug. After removing the plug and cleaning the connections
reassemble with die-electric grease. I would spray the contacts with a cleaner specific for the
purpose.
Don't know if its still available, but "tuner cleaner" was the stuff for cleaning metal and carbon contacts. Was used in the day when TV sets had a dial type tuner, and would get corroded.

Maybe it goes by a different name today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts