Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 305 TPI in my 69 Camaro
Started running small problems like , distributer hits firewall, headers hit heater core, throttle linkage, and trying to figure all the park and brake switches with 700r4 automatic on the floor...etc,etc.
Is all this headache worth it or should I have put a carburated 383 in it? Which would produce more power?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
ELCoyote,

Scottie, What is it, Captain, you don't want more power already after I put the new dilithium crystals in do ya.
Mr Scott, we need warp drive 8.5 now. The dastardly gassed 347"/5.0's are upon us again. And those Mopar loving Romulands are coming in for the kill, what with their 528 hemi's.

Oh, this is fun!!! Y, yes, a 383 would do just fine if you want one. IMHO. pdq67

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pdq.....Now is there anyone from this planet that could tell me which would perform better? the tpi 5.0 or the carburated 383?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,443 Posts
Mileage would go to the TPI, power and torque would go to the 383. It would take a lot of money to get the 305 to run with the 383; you'd still be limited by the small heads/bore and the TPI itself doesn't like to run past 4500-5000 rpm.

I'd probably build the 383 and convert to aftermarket EFI later, something like the Accel DFI (about $2200. complete from Summit). Unfortunately it sounds like you already have the 305. What about selling that set-up and picking up a late-model LT1? You'd start with 300 h.p. and have tons of room for improvements in the future. It's also MUCH easier to work on.

Jody

1 - 4 of 4 Posts