Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason the engine will crank but not turn over. We checked the timing, coil is still good, the injectors work. I dont know what else to do
. I need some help guys!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Need to clarify. Crank means turn over. Do you mean that the motor will not fire or the starter turns but the motor does not?

·
10,153 Posts
Dribble or squirt a bit of fuel into the intake and crank it.
If it doesn't even try to start, check out the ignition more.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
1 Posts
are all the wires plugged back into the coil? a simple thing to overlook! i been there, done that.... felt rather stupid when a freind pointed it out

·
Registered
997 Posts
Spark or fuel?Which one dont you have?Check for spark with the screwdriver to ground method.Do you have spark?That system needs 30+ # fuel pressure,need a gauge to check it.Cant guess at the fuel pressure.Try the carb cleaner in throttle body,to see if it tries to start.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, we sprayed some of that carb stuff in the intake and it started the motor then it stops. So it looks like we're getting a spark. What should I do now???

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you sure that you are getting fuel? This exact problem happened to my caveilier (my POS). it wouldn't start, but as soon as we sprayed some starting fluid in the intake it ran for a second. I found out that it was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think that Tom hit it on the head. You need to check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. There is a valve on the passenger side of the fuel rail, back near the distributor. Check it with a fuel gauge you need at least 35 pounds of pressure.

If you listen back at the tank, can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key to ON?

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have 40+ fuel pressure, and the fuel pump does work you can here it turn on. We now think its the computer chip. We're gonna have the chip looked at.

[This message has been edited by S15327 (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get a fuel injector test light and see if the injectors are getting any signal. If not, check the fuses and the main power wire (fusable link) to the injectors/computer.

I had a 83 Z28 one time that wouldn't start just like this. Turned out the main power wire to the computer and injectors had pulled loose near the battery. This was a heavy gauge wire straight from the battery to the computer harness.

------------------
Ray

68 SS Convertible
Corvette(77) Yellow
383 DFI Fuel Injection
on MiniRamII intake,
Trick Flow heads
700R4, 3.31 12bolt Posi
Guildstrand Mod
AGR 12:1 power steering

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, We bought a NODE light and tested it. The lights not doing anything, so now we know that its not getting fuel to the rails. Now what do we do??

[This message has been edited by S15327 (edited 03-14-2001).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the same problem with my conversion.
But I don`t know anything about your car. My problem was, that the custom programmed chip still had the VAT (Vehicle Anti Theft) code (why ?). So the fuel injectors will not work.
(Perhaps problems with your VAT ?)
With the new reprogrammed chip everything is o.k.
My buddy had a similar problem with his LT 1 and injectors from another wrecked car.
The injectors look similar to mine, but the engine didn`t run. He changed this type with the original ones and the engine still runs.

------------------
69`Camaro, 92`LT 1 / 4L60

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is this a stock system in a late model that has stopped working, or a new retro fit into an older car that you're trying to get running for the first time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we got it running last night. The coil was only putting out 9 volts when it need 12 volts, So we swapped it out.
Thanks for all the help guys.
FYI, we have a '69 327 block, '86 Camaro TPI Injection system going in a '84 S-15.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts