Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 Z28 5.0. I pulled the motor and the wiring from the engine bay to the firewall. I installed a 5.0 TPI motor and a new harness from Painless. (60102) Well with the wiring almost complete I'm now short some wires that I had before. I think what I need right now is maybe a diagram that shows where the terminals lead to on the firewall connector I removed. As of now I don't have any wiring for the alternator, the wiper motor (the 3 prong and the 6 prong) and the temp switch. (I have the temp sensor but not the switch) Has anyone else used this same harness and run into these problems? I could use some advice about now. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
The TPI harness from Painless is simply that, a TPI harness. The wires for the wiper motor and stuff like that is a seperate harness. You should use your original harness for wiper motor, alternator, stuff like that. The TPI harness just controls the fuel injection portion of your engine, nothing else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was able to use a program in class called "Mitchell on Demand" to obtain some better wiring schematics than my Chiltons could provide. I guess I should have done more research before doing away with my stock harness. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the whole car is apart right now, you could rewire with a Universal Harness. They go for about $150 or so on eBay. I assume you removed the bulkhead connector, there is a kit to patch that hole there too.

The universal harnesses you can find there (Just search Camaro Wiring arness) are GM Color coded, the wires are all labeled, they come witht he connectors for the steeering column, etc..

You will still have to reconstruct the A/C and Wiper wiring, but you will have the power for those circuits from the new universal harness. As for the TPI harness, you will probably need to use the electric choke feed wire for its power, or tap off the Radio or Power Window circuits.

I did my Opel Manta with a universal kit, along with a friends 75 Camaro. Its pretty straight forward.

I will admit I am a seller of these things, but gladly help where I can. Sounds like your a HS or Tech student. I can at minimum send you the bulkhead patch kit, even if you don't buy a harness free of charge. WHat it is is a piece of sheetmetal made to cover the whole exactly, and has a 1/2" thick piece of weather stripping on it to seal the hole. It also has a 1" hole with a gromet to pass the wires from the footwell side to the engine side. This way if you rewire just using wire and not a complete harness you won't have to reuse the bulkhead connector.

PM me and I can send you a PDF of the instructions of my wiring harness. The directions like the harness are Universal so they should help be a guide to you even if you rewire without a harness.

Charles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Charles. I already have the car wired with the Painless harness. I also decided to retain the factory bulkhead connector and make my connections there, this way I can use the factory connectors for the wiper motor, ect... But I am still currently in another snag with my new harness, you may have an idea of the problem. Please check out my new post if you have time. Do your wiring harness provide all the same connections such as a painless 60102 ? Thanks for your help Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.