Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have an 85 TPI IROC and I just reassembled the engine. It's running well, but the air/fuel ratio is unbeleivably rich. Is there a way to manually adjust the mixture? Thanks alot, you guys are great.

Ben

·
Registered
159 Posts
No adjustment possible without changing chip.Get a scan tool and see what sensors are reading.Computer controls the mixture.To high a fuel pressure?Without knowing what the sensors are reading everything is just a guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually, there is a way to manually adjust the mixture, however, i do agree that you should change the mixture through a computer controller instead.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not to sound like a smart *** but I'd like to hear how you 'manually'adjust the fuel mixture.You can raise fuel pressure by installing an adjustable regulator or make the engine run richer by putting a resistor in coolant sensor circuit but otherwise I don't see nothing else.You can 'manually'adjust minimum air by adjusting throttle plate opening but that's not adjusting mixture.Maybe you can educate me.Again this is NOT a smart *** reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well aside from that question, it is basically a problem of way too rich of a mixture being burned. Could it be a stuck cold start injector? Any suggestions at all?

·
10,147 Posts
A bad water or intake air temp sensor or sensor wire would make the computer think the engine is cold when it isn't.
That would keep the mixture rich.

If the engine is warm up enough to go into closed loop, any vaccum leak would put excess oxygen into the exhaust and the oxygen sensor would tell the computer to go rich.

A bad plug wire or plug would cause excess oxygen in the exhaust and do the same.

You might have a bad seal on the intake or a hose. Even a bad brake booster leak can do it.

You need a good scan tool which will tell you what the computer is seeing from the sensors, and what the computer is doing about it.

The only methods I know about of controling the mixture in a sort of manual method involved fooling with the sensors to make them lie to the computer to get a richer or leaner response, such as making the computer think the engine was colder than it really was or the throttle position or oxy sensor was a different computer input value.

Also manually adjustable fuel pressure regulators can change mixture.
I have heard of pressure regulators going bad and allowing fuel pressure to go too high at less than full throttle. There is a vaccum line from pressure valve to the plenum and if you pull it off, the regulator pressure will go up, thinking you are at full throttle.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 02-04-2002).]

·
Registered
503 Posts
There are lots of possibilities.........most need a scantool or at least a fuel pressure guage to diagnose......one easy quick thing to check comes to mind, without the need for tools, is the fuel pressure regulator for a ruptured diaphram .......simply remove the vacuum hose and check for fuel in the hose....there should be none present....if the hose is wet the regulator is bad.....(Not uncommon)

[This message has been edited by 18436572 (edited 02-05-2002).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 1994 camaro, this is my problem with it im burning to much fuel it will not pass smog ive put new o2 censors, new cats, and muffler, new plugs and wires, and a new distributor coil as well. what can i do to fix this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
need help with my 94 camaro im burning to much fuel it wont pass smog. ive changed o2 censors and the cat and i still smell raw fuel comeing out of the muffler what could be the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts