Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cleaned up the garage, and found an old school set of traction bars, they are still in good shape, should I install them on my 68, or have they run the course?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Slapper Bars (what we called them) work when properly adjusted. The problem is they prevent full motion of the rear suspension, affect the ride, and are noisy when bouncing around. If you are getting wheel hop, you need something and they will work. There are better designs and worse, it depends on what you have.

·
Registered
278 Posts
First, you need to ask if you need to correct the problem they solve. If you're just cruising, I wouldn't mess with them. But if you a struggling to get off the line without wheel hop, they can help.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Are they Slapper Bars or Traction Masters? Big difference. Back in the '60's and '70's almost everyone with a solid axle ran Traction Masters, they are like the bottom outer link of a four-link setup. And today, a ton of my old SVT Lightning buddies are still running what we called "Long Bars" on their 9-second supercharged street trucks. One of my friends from Florida, Casey Brown, actually ran an 8.9 with his TT Mod motor Lightning and Long Bars. Basically longer traction Masters, the best are made by Stifflers but the old school ones looked like these:

Traction Masters-00.jpg

Welded up front, bolted to the spring/shock perch, they eliminated all axle wrap/hop. As noted... Caroll Shelby used them on the original GT350 Mustangs he raced.

·
19,798 Posts
Are they Slapper Bars or Traction Masters? Big difference. Back in the '60's and '70's almost everyone with a solid axle ran Traction Masters, they are like the bottom outer link of a four-link setup. And today, a ton of my old SVT Lightning buddies are still running what we called "Long Bars" on their 9-second supercharged street trucks. One of my friends from Florida, Casey Brown, actually ran an 8.9 with his TT Mod motor Lightning and Long Bars. Basically longer traction Masters, the best are made by Stifflers but the old school ones looked like these:

View attachment 265144

Welded up front, bolted to the spring/shock perch, they eliminated all axle wrap/hop. As noted... Caroll Shelby used them on the original GT350 Mustangs he raced.
basically what Cal-tracs today are designed after...just a twist on an old concept that works.

old school slappers work, but have their limits

I built some cal-trac copies (somewhat)...before laying down $365 ...they work :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing fancy just the old school slapper bars as you call them,
I am just thinking on the look, haven't seen many lately, figure they have run their course

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Pictures?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
nothing fancy just the old school slapper bars as you call them,
I am just thinking on the look, haven't seen many lately, figure they have run their course
Its a matter of personal taste. If you're building the car to look like a '60's-'70's street racer, big fat rear tires sticking out past the fenders, excessive rake... it might look perfect with freshened up set of slappers. I always thought they looked weird hanging down there but many people made them work.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Can't quite tell from that angle, are they Cal-Tracs or Traction Masters?

·
19,798 Posts
Can't quite tell from that angle, are they Cal-Tracs or Traction Masters?
Thinking the TM's since there are no rod-ends for adjustment like the CT's?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Thinking the TM's since there are no rod-ends for adjustment like the CT's?
Shelby used the solid mount traction masters on his GT350's and GT500's that were weekend racers at both road courses and drag strips. Back around 67-68 I rented a Hertz GT350 for 2 days out in Illinois. I was hard core Chevy back then (2 corvettes down, 2 more coming) and I had a ball driving that Shelby.

The newer versions of fixed traction bars made by Stifflers have all sorts of adjustments fore and aft.
Stifflers-01.jpg

Would love to pick Shelby's brain on why Traction Masters for a road course, although Dave Pozzi had commented a couple years back on this and said that Traction Masters or Cal-Tracs "allow body roll without binding the suspension in roll, so are a good device to prevent spring wind up and still good for cornering." For those interested in building their own, here's the link to the DIY-CalTracs page Doug used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts