Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm putting together a (gasp) 81 Ford F250 4X4 to use as a tow vehicle/junk hauler- you know, as a truck.
for ultimate versatility, i am putting 2 trailer light plugs on the back- a 4pin/6pin combo i bought at Wal mart, and a 7 pin RV plug i got off a parts truck. the 4 "normal" wires were easily taken care of with the plug in wiring adapter- but what are the other wires for? in addition to the normal 4 wires, for the trailer brakes the 6 pin plug has a red and a blue wire, and the 7 pin has a red and a black wire. would the blue wires from the 2 plugs get wired together, and the red and black wires get tied together? and where is the 7th wire on the 7 pin plug and what is it for?
i have a newer Uhaul trailer brake controller that i took out of the parts truck, but don't know how that hooks up, either. i kind of ripped it out of the truck kind of fast, and the writing on the wires wore off when i cleaned the electrical tape residue off it trying to figure it out.
if anyone has some links to some wiring diagrams for the diferent plugs, that would be great. i don't want to be one of those fools driving around without trailer lights or functional trailer brakes with a heavy load on it.

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
I would follow rcatalano's suggestion for a 7-pin hook-up. This is the accepted standard, 7-pin.

7-pin makes life easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts