Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped in a 383 in my camaro and saw somehting weird. The tranny lines up and it is tight against the block with no spaces but the bolts dont sit flush with the tranny. When I removed them they were flush. Could this have something to do with the new block accepting shorter bolts? Like I said its tight with no spaces but the bolt sits out about 1/16th of an inch. Also the flywheel I got with this motor is a lot bigger than the one that was in it. It moves freely in the tranny but the starter I have doesnt fit. Do I need a different starter for a 168 tooth flywheel? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
33,175 Posts
Might be some debris in the holes of the block, a tap would clean up the threads, but since the block is in-place,...

You can do one of two things about the bolts, 1. add a couple washers to each bolt, or 2. get 1/4 inch shorter bolts from the fastener store.

Yes, you will need at least a different starter nose, one with staggered bolts. You can get new nose pieces from the dealer, and swap everything over, very easy to do. Or, you might go to a alternator/starter rebuilder and exchange yours for his rebuilt starter, at least you'd get a year warranty on the starter.

Good luck....

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts