Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well apparently its Friday the 13th. I had to pull the TH 350 tranny back out of my firebird because the Front pump seal was leaking. Sooo.. like an idiot i left it on the tranny jack as i was removing the old seal and trying to put the new one in. Yep, bad idea. It tumbled about 4 feet down to the concrete floor and took a huge chunk out of the bellhousing portion and put about a 16 inch crack in the casing farther down where it meets the main body of the tranny. Originally i had thought the tranny was the original to the car but it appears the housing is not.

So, what do i do know? I talked to one tranny guy and he told me to find a new housing, tear mine down and put it in new housing is going to cost as much as buying one all done/rebuilt. I have found a place online that sells completely rebuit 350 trannys for $800. But i guess im just trying to figure out what i want to do.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to buy a rebuilt 350 tranny? Dont know anything about the place i found on the internet but would guess they are ok. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated? What would you do?

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Don't have much choice at this point. You could find an exchange rebuilt at a trans shop, Autozone, etc. but thats no fun. I would try someone like TPI or TCI , see if you could get one exchange, convertor and all. Not gonna be no $800, maybe twice that but you should have a good hipo trans. Other option would be to go 200r4? http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=381500

350 th http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=311038

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I second the OD. No time like the present. Go find a good used one at a junk yard and stick it in. You can always go through it later, or now if money's not a problem.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
824 Posts
I would talk to camjoe63 about his tranny. The Summit 350 is a very goood tranny for the price. An OD transmission is a lot of additional work versus just an R/R with a 350.

·
Registered
930 Posts
jegs sells adaptor plates to bolt chevy trans to pontiac/olds/buick engines. my nephew put a chevy 350 turbo trans behind a 455 olds engine. part number is 555-60172 to convert a b/o/p to chevy trans. the last price was $54.99. but it is an old catalog. summit should also sell these.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A friend of mine ran a 454 in an 80's Buick Custom with a Cadillac Switch Pitch tranny and torque converter (almost like a 6 speed auto). In any of the 3 forward gears you could hit the Electric Switch Pitch Button on his Slap Stick which controlled a rod that pushed through the center of the input spline changing the angle of the blades in the converter. Man that thing would load up nicely.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
sounds like a good time to put a 200-4r in there.
get one out of a GN or Monte SS and just put it in. the only "mods" necessary to get it to bolt in is getting a TH400 crossmember and wiring up the TCC.

·
Registered
601 Posts
hey jorpe im a trans rebuilder ill do a nice 350 for you for 600 with shift kit and racing clutches.or if you not far from nj ill come to you if you got air compressor and ill take your parts from case put them in a good 1.for 350 bux. pm me if interseted.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well apparently its Friday the 13th. It tumbled about 4 feet down to the concrete floor and took a huge chunk out of the bellhousing portion and put about a 16 inch crack in the casing farther down where it meets the main body of the tranny.
That had to be more than a little scary. How close did it come to gettin ya? Mike. :beers: :beers:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Craig -

If you're interested and heading to Carlisle next week, I can give you the number of the tranny shop I and my Central PA racing buddies have been using for 20 years. Last Th350 they built for me was $300 out the door, no core. BOP might be more, but it might be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
hey jorpe im a trans rebuilder ill do a nice 350 for you for 600 with shift kit and racing clutches.or if you not far from nj ill come to you if you got air compressor and ill take your parts from case put them in a good 1.for 350 bux. pm me if interseted.
Bill, What a great offer. Your obviously one heck of a guy.

As for the tranny...a chevy will bolt to your pontiac, depending on the year of components. However,

I would throw in a 700r4 or a 200r4(both can be built cheap enuff) but I would go 200R4 because I think its a stronger tranny. JMHO tho....

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if you try to bolt up a Chev trans to a Poncho engine, i think you will only have the lower 2 bolts holding things together.
most 200-4r's will have a dual bellhousing pattern so you can bolt it to pretty much any GM V8 from the mid 60's to present.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts