Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the problem. I start the car and let it run, then take it for a spin. Check under the car after coming back and no leak. Shut the car off and let it sit for a couple of hours, still no leak. Come back a couple of days later and my garage floor looks like some one poured a quart of tranny fluid all over it. Where should I start. Figuring it has to do with expanding and contracting from hot to cold since it only happens a day after not during operation? Also is there something you can add to the tranny fluid to be able to track the leak like they to to the motor? Something You can shine a light on an see green? Read something about that somewhere. Figure at least if I can do that I can track where it is coming from. It is pretty dirty underneath and tough to tell where it is coming from in the condition its in now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
934 Posts
Mark

I somewhat had a similar problem after I took my RS with a TH350 into a Trans shop. And requested that the Owner-mechanic do all the work. My initial mission was to calibrate my Speedo cable gear to my rearend gear change, as well as having the Trans lines replaced and repairing any other leaks that might be there.

Well after was all said and done. Well they got the Speedo gear done but OMFG!!
They did a BS!! job on the Trans lines and apparently didn’t even check for leaks.

I too had a pool of fluid under the car if she sat for a couple of days.

Well I crawled under the car and located the PROBLEMS. Leaking cooler lines at the Trans and a leaking "O" ring seal for the filler tube.

When I went back to that shop I expressed myself and the lack of professionalism and that that shop had. Upon picking up my vehicle again the Owner said that they tightened up the Trans lines and every thing looked good. So on that I thought I was good to go.

Mother @#!*&/ GDDMT !!
Still leaking. Glutton for more punishment, I took er back again. Owner's gone. So I spoke with another mechanic there and he told me that they had a hard time because the header was in the way. OMFG!! I said. Why didn’t you just drop the header? It was so simple, nothing in the way at all. His response was that they didn’t have a gasket and the owner told him that he could work around it.
So now IM even more pissed off and just want to castrate the owner. And Still leaking. So I left ER again and that mechanic said he would take care if it personally. So upon receipt again this guy said that he changed out the dip tube gasket and the old one was in bad shape. No more leaks.
Woo Hoo I thought. So for a couple of more days I drove ER around and true no more leaks.

The next weekend I crawled under my RS. OHMFG!!!!! Guess what I found?
About a tube of Black Silicone sealant all over everything. No wonder why there were no more leaks.

Some times it pays to do everything your self! In which I did. I dropped the headder replaced the Trans Lines and dip tube "O" ring and now, no more leaks.

So, I suggest you take your car down to a car wash, clean the underside look for the leaking culprit, and then take care of it yourself.

Camsdad

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. Will do. From what I can tell it looks like it is coming from the dip stick tube. It is in firmly but doesnt look like it is in all the way, almost like it is jammed in crooked. The tranny also looks like it has fresh wet spots from the top near it and the lines. I am going to clean it up good then take a look at all of the problem spots. Definately coming from the front somewhere so I am assuming dip stick tube, tranny lines, kick down hook up, but will also check the shifter linkage seal, pan gasket, and rear housing. Know for sure it is not a front seal problem.

·
Super Moderator
33,290 Posts
Directly above the fill tube is a vent for the sump. I have seen oil drip out the vent due to the oil seeking its lowest level through the oil pump leaking back from the torque convertor.

I removed the vent, attached a hose, reinstalled the vent at the end of the hose, and routed the open end up at the firewall, much like the front axle vent on a 4X4. Cured the problem.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what you are saying is that the vent tube is below the converter , below the oil pump but above the sump. So that when oil runs back to the pan from the converter, through the oil pump it seeks a lower level(vent) before it goes back to the pan? If that is the case, then how high should you mount the hose from the vent? Also what is the purpose of the vent for the sump? Is it a breather of some sort?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had a simular problem of leaking after sitting for a few days. Turns out it was the seal around the shaft for changing gears. Also had a problem with the cruise control unit that attached between the speedo cable and the transmission. The unit itself was leaking oil took me quite a while to find as I didn't think oil could get to it. Go figure eh! - Barry

·
Super Moderator
33,290 Posts
Mark, here's what I am suggesting, the atmosphere vent is located on top of the trans case, behind the bellhousing, usually at the intersection of both.

Therefore, it is above the oil pump and input shaft. But, there is a portion of the torque conv above this line. Hence, as the car sits, the oil above the oil pump slowly leaks back into the sump/pan seeking its own level.

The vent is supplied to let out the pressure build-up inside the trans case as the fluid and parts heat up and expand. If you don't have a venting hole, the seals will leak due to (air) pressure building up, provided the dipstick is not locked into place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts