Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to be trading my camaro for a 65 Nova (im sad too, i just dont have the money to finish it)...my question is, i just swapped in a th-400 tranny but i dont have the kickdown or vacuum lines hooked up. the guy just wants to see my car drive before we trade and i know that i can drive it w/o the kickdown but what if i dont attach the vacuum line? can i just put it in 1st and manually go through the gears just to give him a ride in it? im asking because i dont have the connection that taps into the manifold. my previous tranny had a full manual valve body.

[This message has been edited by jvolk81 (edited 12-09-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Doesn't your carb have a manifold vacuum port? You can connect it there, or tee into whatever line is already connected there.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 12-09-2001).]

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another question....i connected the vacuum line to the port at the base of the carb...holley 750 double pump...i dont have a driveshaft in it but i manually put the tranny in drive. If i rev the motor up w/ it in drive will the tranny shift w/o the shaft in it? it didnt shift when i tried this.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm pretty sure the torque converter responds to a "load" (locks up) by the resistance placed on it from other drive components combined with the weight of the car. Without resistance (e.g. no shaft) the tranny will not shift!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts