Team Camaro Tech banner

tranny th350 slipping

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  camaroman7d 
#1 ·
well in manual 2nd gear it slips real bad,
shifting points I have read about, but have not gone there yet can this help with the slipage
or do I need to do something else.

#2 ·
What color is your tranny fluid? If it is brown and smells burnt it is probably burned up clutch plates. In other words, time for a rebuild.

If the fluid looks OK maybe there is some other component that could make it slip. Does it slip in Drive when in second gear?

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 11-09-2002).]

#3 ·
fluid seems fine!! replaced modulator with adjustable type,,seems to have made some improvement,,slipage while in drive not as noticeable,,trying to check adjustments on downshift linkage but having some trouble
completely understanding procecure. I have a 4 barrel carb & you are suppose to "disengage the secondary lock-out" before placing the lever in WOT. Then if I get this far, with the wot should the linkage cable be pulled as far as it can go?? ty for your suggestions!!

#4 ·
Is auto second Ok? Is it just manual second? If so, then I wonder if you don't have a leak somewhere in the hydraulic system. 2nd gear is provided by a sprag clutch that is over-ridden in manual 2nd by the intermediate band. In other words, the sprag should hold second gear ( if the intermediate clutch is working). I'll have to look in the service manual for more clues.

If auto second is Ok, then I'd stop driving the car until you figure it out. Could be a simple fix that will crater the whole thing in time. The intermediate band piston would be a good thing to check.

-dnult

#6 ·
You may want to try disconnecting the kick down cable and then going for a ride. If you have the cable too tight it can cause a problem like you have. If it works with the cable disconnected, then you know you just have to get it adjusted right.

Royce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.