Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all got the motor in...it is a 350 and 700r4 in a 68. Anyway I can not for the life of me get the top left bellhousing bolt from the front side....Is there any way to get at it from the back side of the trans?(maybe with a long extension??)

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
You said it, tilt back everything and get it from bottom with a long (24 or 30 " ) 3/8 extension and either a swivel socket and or socket and wobble joint. Washered head bolts help a lot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...any chace I can get it without tilting engine...as motor trans and drive shaft are all in?

·
Super Moderator
32,758 Posts
If you're using OE bolts, they're alittle long for the purpose. You might try a shorter bolt, 1 -1/4 inch long.

Need more room? Pull the distributor and reach from above.

What is really nice is if you have 327 frame stands rather than 350 frame stands. The 327/307 stands place the engine forward an inch more than 350/302 frame stands.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
It can be done with the distributor out.

I just put all the top bolts in with my McLeod bellhousing. This is with the 350/302 stands too. Now I know to do it while the motor is tipped back :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Guess I have the shorter bolt or something; I was able to get that bolt in from the top fairly easily; dropped it a couple times, but it slid right in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts