Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 68 Camaro with a 327 and a powerglide. I'd like to change the transmission to a 350 turbo or a friend even suggested a 700R. If I go with the 350 turbo which kind of tailshaft would i need? And if i went with a 700R will there be a lot of modifications that I will have to make? Not sure what to do. I plan on changing the motor also to a 350.

·
15,374 Posts
dallask64503, welcome to Team Camaro!

A TH350 with a 6" tailshaft will bolt right in without any other mods. The PG crossmember will work just fine. You'll just need different shifter brackets for the th350 at the trans which are no problem to get, and change the shifter lens in the console (if you have a console shifter) to add the 3rd gear selection. Shiftworks has all you need.

Now, a 700r4 is a WHOLE other beast altogether. All of your questions about swapping in a 700r4 have been gone over many, many times here. Just do a forum search and you'll have plenty of reading to do on the subject.

Not that it's difficult, but there are crossmember changes and other mechanical differences that need to be taken into account. If you drive the car a lot, say on a daily basis, and do a lot of highway cruising, you will love the overdrive gear in the 700r4. Many folks have swapped in the 700 or the 200 trannies just for the 4th gear and the fuel savings.

Like I said, do a search on this forum and you'll get most, if not all, of your questions answered.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMHO, I would also consider the 200 4R OD transmission. Its an easier swap. It is the same length as the powerglide, so the driveshaft does not have to be cut, and if you get a THM 400 crossmember its a bolt in swap.
I installed a TCI Streetfighter 200 4R OD trans. into my camaro and love it. I run a 2800 stall lock up converter which gives me automatic lockup of the torque converter in 4th gear and with the higher stall, I have the best of both worlds. Turning my BBC only 1950 RPM at 70 mph is the way I like it and with the price of gas??

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,362 Posts
Yes, a stock 1st gen 10 bolt is a 8.2

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by HwyStarJoe:
Wayner, what gear ratio are you running out back? 1950rpm at 70 is super low!
I am currently running 3.31/1 in the rear, that with my 4th gear and the lockup converter is great. The lockup converter alone drops my cruise RPM by 450 rpm. Doesn't sound like much but at 70 mph, it makes a world of difference on longe trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts