Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Be Cool Radiator in my 68 sbc. As part of the swap I upgraded to new stainless trans cooler lines to my th400. The thread size on the radiator and the lines are both 5/16”. Does anyone know the part number for a 5/16 to 5/16 fitting? Without it there is no backstop to secure the line ie wont pull out but the line can still be pushed in when tightened.

Or has anyone converted stock lines to quick disconnect?

Or any other suggestions
Thank you

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
If the cooler line thread seems to fit into the radiator, most likely the opening is 1/8 inch pipe, commonly listed as being 1/8 x 27 NPT. That would call for a fitting that was 1/8 NPT x 5/16 inverted flare.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your help. I misspoke when I said it was a 5/16” fitting, it’s actually a 5/16” tube and the external thread diameter is 1/2. So do I need a 5/16 inverted flare fitting or 5/16” npt to 1/2 inverted flare. Sorry this terminology is new to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Double post

·
Registered
6,217 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Huge help, thank you. I’ve spent far too much time on this.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Every GM I have seen had 5/16 cooler lines, to the best of my recollection.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks Al. There used to be a tube line guy at a service shop not far away but long gone

I will let Amazon bring it to me :)

Thanks for confirming the size

The lines and radiator are what was on the car and when I did the TH350 swap the lower one just weeps ever so slightly so this should resolve

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Following up on the flare copper gasket

Parker 2GF-5-pk5 45 Degree Fitting, Flare, Brass, Flare Gasket, 5/16" (Pack of 5)

It appears to have resolved the weeping issue, more driving will tell. I used a dab of grease to hold it on the trans line so it wouldn't fall off connecting it to the male mating surface nipple inside radiator

While this thread is not mine, in reading it helped me as I did not know these type of copper gaskets were available for situations where flare lines just don't seal. One of many good things about this forum

Op, hope you got good 411 for your concerns also

·
Registered
645 Posts
They are common on German cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts