Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Z28
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Excited that I finally got my ‘69 Z28 to run and drive for the first time since around 1986. Right away I noticed that the gears were all wrong, except r verse. First and second were switched and third and fourth were switched. I asked an old friend who says this linkage is supposed to be rotated 180° from the “down” position to the “up” position. I just wanted to make sure that that’s the correct remedy before taking things apart.

Also, can anyone help me decode this from these tags? I want to see if it was the original one.
Automotive tire Flash photography Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Metal Freezing

Automotive tire Sleeve Wood Grey Artifact
Brown Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Flash photography Asphalt Font

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I think you're friend is correct.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I flipped them back rightside up, but when testing the shifter it was hard to put it into some of the gears, particularly reverse and first, and felt like it was binding up. I didn't road test it. Under the shifter where the linkage connects there are threaded ends that look like they can be adjusted, is that some sort of remedy for this?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
There are some real good videos on YouTube about adjusting the linkages on a Muncie. You need to start off with a 1/4 rod ,or drill bit in the shifter hole first, and go from there. Yes the rods may need the nuts adjusted.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
581 Posts
Id suggest replacing the linkage bushings with the steel ones. I did that and bought a rebuild kit for the body. Now the shifting is so tight it clicks into gears.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, after watching some of the videos on the assembly/adjustment of the muncie I believe probably what is wrong is that the linkage was adjusted for the "down" position but would need to be readjusted for the "up" (proper) position. I did not stick a pin or anything into the alignment hole to lock it into neutral, and I remember that it pushed the shifter backward or forward from its adjusted position, which is probably why it wasn't going into the gears properly and was binding up. It seems to me that the proper remedy is to remove the linkage, put the pin through the alignment hole, then reattach the linkage first to the transmission, and then adjust the shifter-end of the linkage to the correct length.

I believe the linkage bushings are already steel but I ordered a replacement set just in case that came with replacement retaining clips, in case anything is worn or missing or I break a clip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No need to remove linkage Just remove rods from trans or if easier remove rods from linkage. then line up the fingers on the linkage and slide the drill bit in or what ever tool you will use. At that point you want to get in the car and check the sweep from left to right . If its good then you can adjust your rods to fit on the fingers. If not you will need to rebuild the linkage. I hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts