Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a 67 convertible 327/210 with powerglide. The car will be used for cruising around town with some highway. It has a t-handle floor shifter and a peg leg rear end with 273 gears I believe. I've read through alot of the posts reguarding this swap and am confused. Not to hard for that to happen to me. Anyway I'd like to swap out the PG. What would be the best swap, TH350, 700r or 200R in my situation? What is required with each swap(driveshaft mods, crossmember mods)? What cars can I find each type of trans in? I realize I'm asking for a lot of advice here but any help and advice you would extend to me would be greatly appreciated. TIA Pete

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The TH350 is a direct swap really no other parts needed, but it only has 3 gears. Don't get me wrong 3 gears are far better than 2, but if your main goal is a nice cruiser then you'll be in heaven with a 4 speed. And for that your best solution is a 200-4R or 700-R4. I prefer the 200 for strength and the fact that it takes less parts to swap out. If you go with the 200 get one that locks up the converter for better mileage. For that you will need a trans cross member for a TH400 and modify it slightly or get one specifically for the swap. Then you need to get a controller to lock up the converter. There are simple pressure switches you can get that thread into the trans and don't require any computer to operate.
I'll keep it simple to that for now until you decide which way you want to go. I don't want to throw too much out there and get you really confused. :wacko:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree the 350 would probley be the easiest. With the 350 and 373 gears you'll be about 3000 rpms at or around 60 mph. A lot depends on how much money do you want to spend and how much work you want to do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have installed a level 2- 200-4R in my 68, although I haven't gotten my car on the road yet, I punched in the numbers, and @ 75 mph it should get around 1900 rpm, that is a big difference compared to aprox.3300 RPM I was gettin with my 350.

I bought it from Bowtie Overdrives and when i get it on the road they will be working closely with me to get it dialed in. They pretty much provided me with all the parts that I needed to do a complete swap, all the way up to the shift indicator plate for my console, in fact it looks like it was put in the car originally from the factory.

I too want to use my car for the same reason that you are using yours for, when I am on the freeway I want to save gas, I'm not out to race everybody, but I want to be able to punch it and put it through it's motions once in a while, and that tranny should do the trick I figure.

Gas savings alone with the overdrive should pay for the tranny swap in no time at all...............007

PS- if you want to check them out then go to www.bowtieoverdrives.com (in no way am i plugging them) I do suggest that if you buy a tranny from them , that you spend the extra $$$$ and get the crossmember, it will save you a lot of stress and trouble.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ooooops accidently posted twice

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have installed a level 2- 200-4R in my 68, although I haven't gotten my car on the road yet, I punched in the numbers, and @ 75 mph it should get around 1900 rpm, that is a big difference compared to aprox.3300 RPM I was gettin with my 350.

I bought it from Bowtie Overdrives and when i get it on the road they will be working closely with me to get it dialed in. They pretty much provided me with all the parts that I needed to do a complete swap, all the way up to the shift indicator plate for my console, in fact it looks like it was put in the car originally from the factory.

I too want to use my car for the same reason that you are using yours for, when I am on the freeway I want to save gas, I'm not out to race everybody, but I want to be able to punch it and put it through it's motions once in a while, and that tranny should do the trick I figure.

Gas savings alone with the overdrive should pay for the tranny swap in no time at all...............007

PS- if you want to check them out then go to www.bowtieoverdrives.com (in no way am i plugging them) I do suggest that if you buy a tranny from them , that you spend the extra $$$$ and get the crossmember, it will save you a lot of stress and trouble.
If you don't mind me asking what was the cost? TIA Pete

·
Registered
382 Posts
Affordable TH350 transmission and rear gears 3.36 or 3.08 with Eaton Posi might do you well for local cruiser with acceptable highway rpms. Again, it depends on what you want to do with the car, and how much you want to spend. Many here have posted they like 3.73 gears with the 200-4r overdrive transmission.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I went from a PG to a TH350 with 3.08 gears and added an Eaton posi.Love it fine around town and turns about 2500 at 60 mph.It is the easiest and cheapest swap to do.Next choice would be a TH200 with a 3.73 rear gear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly, If you are going to be using the car mainly for twon and highway cruising...I'd go with a TKO five speed or a T-56 six speed manual. If your'e just going to curise why only have three or four gears and waste all that gas when there are affordable aftermarket five and six speeds out there. :)
p.s. These two types of tranny's can hold a ton of HP also. Take a guick look. ;)
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
while the tko600`s are fantastic trannys, they are difficult to get into the car for a diy`er with limited fab skills...although you can take an easier road, and buy all the fab parts like crossmember from cc5s...on the other hand, if you have a welder and torch, you can put in anything you want...i personally did a 2004r with 3.42 posi...i made the crossmember from .200 wall tubing, and 3 sixteenths plate stel...(i`ve got the welder/torch thing covered)lol...i like the 2004r`s for their hp handling capability, and the first gear...(a 700 has a 1st of 3.08!!!holy shift batman!!!)with a 3.73 it would shift like a wrecker...lmao...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts