Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Auto tranny is in 2001 Dodge Dakota...
My Automatic tranny is shifting UP thru the gears just fine, but when I let off the gas to slow down and come to a stop, the tranny or torque converter stays engaged like its in high gear. Like its not downshifting. When I came to a stop I have to put the tranny in neutral so the motor wont bog down and die. What gives? Is this a valve body or TV cable prob?
Any help would be appreciated.:(

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
this is the 45rfe right???they have alot of problems with the valvebody...i just did a shift kit in a 01 liberty that had 31000 on the clock...same trans as the dakota...1 spring in the vb was broken, and the piston bores in two valve sleeves were scored slightly...the shift kit replaced alot of the springs, and piston seals, and added a resistor to the speed sensor...took 2 hours on a lift, and solved the 1-2 shift shudder we had...maybe theres a piston lodging in the bore in your vb keeping a gear engaged...there is alot of info on this on the net...you just have to google it...ps, use the correct fluid...it is imperitave!!!the designers of this trans said that the most common catastrophic failures with these trannys were due to the use of dex 3...it takes atf+4 if memory serves...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kustom, I am not sure what tranny it is...I need help. I cant afford a rebuild. Its gotta be something I can do to it. I mean, how hard could it be? I have been building Chevy's all my life Minus 1 ford motor I built as a kid that conveniently blew up. Any help or direction would be cool. this dodge is a quad cab 2001 4x4 w 5.9L motor. What direction should I go first?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
find out if this is in fact the 45rfe, or something else...i only know of all the problems with this tranny because of my boss`s liberty that had a tranny problem...(same dakota trans for that one year...they changed the trans style for 02)they are supposed to be good trannys, but the vb`s suck...i`d probably get on a dakota owners forum, and read up on the whole mess...no sense worrying about it until you have more info...jmo...good luck...(ps, the shift kit didnt make it shift any firmer!!!only made it shift correctly!!!)gm also had a problem with the lock-up solenoid sticking, and keeping the converter locked up...maybe something to look at...that would probably be an easy fix...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Kustom, it is an A518(a.k.a. 46RE). None of the dakota forums, around 15 I found so far, dont say anything close to my problem. No telling how many Dodge truck forums there is...
Any tranny rebuilders out there?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only thing I can find on the forums is not to use synthetic fluid and it has to be atf+4.
LOL, google dodge dakota forum and see how many come up....lol only a few are free BTW...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
try googling 46re...i dont know bout this particular trans...if you`re driving down the hwy in od locked up, and you put your brake on just hard enough to light up the tails, the trans should come outta lockup...if it dont, i`d change the l-u solenoid...comp controlled trannys are tough...i`m a full service tech, but tranny internals are a "special devision" to most full service techs...i leave my stuff up to dynamic, but he`s nowhere near you...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have spent the last 2 days on any dodge dakota, dodge ram, dodge dually, viper, 10 speed...forum I can find and none of them are even close to my problem. They talk about shifting between 1-2 and 2-3rd. None seems to have had a clutch lockup in the tranny before...I will try what you suggest tho...
Thanks Kustom!!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 98 Dodge 1500 4x4 Mine was doing the same thing,acted like it was in 5th gear of a std. shift when you stopped the motor would die.Transmission guy said the lock up toqure converter was starting to come apart.Caught mine before it was too bad. If you call $800.00 not to bad.

·
Registered
601 Posts
im a trans rebuilder. when you come to a stop does it shut off motor, or when you take off its like in 3rd gear? is the check engine light on? if it kills motor torque converter probally going bad sticking valves in valve body. if it takes off in 3rd gear probally the governer sensor and solenoid are bad. (common problem) easy fix to do by dropping pan 4 7/16 bolts and 2 25 torx but if pan has alot of material in there that is why solenoids are no good by replacing them you wasting 100 bux for the solenoids.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill, When I come to a stop, It will bog the motor down like it is going to kill it. However, I put it in neutral before it does kill it. then I put it back in drive and it takes off fine but hesitates between shifting, 1-2-3....the checks engine light is on...I will post codes as soon as I can.

Bill, Thanks. I now have a direction. Please continue to reply....it aint fixed yet.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the codes I got are p0351 and p1757. one is for the ignition-?- and the other is for the trans gov solenoid out of range.
Anyone know what this p1757 means?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
P1757 means governor pressure not equal to target at 15-20 PSI.

Replace the governor sensor and solonoid, you'll be up and running.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P1757 means governor pressure not equal to target at 15-20 PSI.

Replace the governor sensor and solonoid, you'll be up and running.
THANK YOU!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts