Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping one of you gearheads may able to diagnose a problem I'm having. I was planning on replacing my transmission, rearend, and clutch but with this economy I really can't afford any of that right now... So maybe I can just fix the problem I'm having and get my baby running again.

For starters I have a 67 Camaro with a small block V8 and a 4-speed Muncie with a Hurst shifter.

When I last drove the car I was accelerating from a stop and the car shook a little violently and all of a sudden it was pretty much locked in gear. If I turn the car on it's okay but if I start to let the clutch out I hear a horrific metal-against-metal sound and have to push the clutch right back in. Needless to say, the car can not be driven. What could this problem be? Is this a transmission gear problem or maybe a clutch rod? If anyone has any suggestions for me I would really appreciate it, I would love to at least get the car moving again.

If you need any more information from me, just ask!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Actually, it sounds like your shifter might need indexed/alignment.

Do a search on how to set up a Hurst shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Assuming that the trans is in neutral when you let the clutch out and hear the noise, it could very well be the trans with the way you described the first occurrence. I don't think a pilot bearing would cause a sudden vibration. I would take out the trans and check the internals.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sounds like you gotta pull the tranny regardless of what the problem is. Hopefully its clutch/pressure plate or throwout bearing. When you get it out, check the bearing retainer to see that it is not badly grooved from the T/O bearing. If its badly grooved, it will cause clutch chatter.(Ask me how I know) Replace clutch fork while you've got it apart. There might be some videos on youtube about clutch/pp/tranny removal. It's not rocket science. Just need a freinds help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much for your responses, I really appreciate it. I was really hoping that the problem was something that wouldn't require pulling the transmission. I didn't really want to pull it until I was replacing it... But I'll keep these suggestions in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts