Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any of you run the small coolers that mount under the floor usally by crossmember or frame and if so have you ever went on a good road trip with one,reason is i am going to drive mine from springfield mo to memphis in april to super chevy and i really dont want anymore stuff on front of my radiator,i am running a alum.raditor without a trans cooler

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would put it in front of your radiator. You don't want to cook your tranny.

69er

·
Registered
650 Posts
I JUST finished going through this today with my car. The cooling lines to my tranny have apparently been plugged for a long time now (no flow) and the thing has been slowly cooking itself. To make a long story short, I got a new tranny and had the external cooler installed. I did this because I experienced the value of one when my dad installed one on his 85 Chrysler 5th avenue. He used to drive around all day in desert-like conditions in a 4000lb non-aerodynamic car, and the tranny did well. So, for the $140 clams or whatever that is U.S. $, I said "DO IT" and had it done. A cooler is far less expensive than a new tranny, heh, and they work from what I have seen.

·
Registered
312 Posts
you can mount a rail type tranny cooler under the car. but they do not work as well as a front mounted cooler.

FYI a rail type fuel cooler is kinda nice tho as they help keep fuel temp's down. this is a realy good idea on a FI car.

alway's get the biggest cooler you can fit into the space you have. also in the boiler state's an aux cooling fan mounted in front of the trany cooler is a good idea too. this help's keep the trany cool while driveing around town and in stop and go trafic. just wire it to a switch that you control and turn it on when you are not going 25MPH or are siting for a long time in trafic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts