Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought from Transmission Depot in Hudson Fla? I am thinking about swapping my 350 for a 200R4.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I purchased a 200-4R from The Transmission Depot last summer. When I installed and tested it I found that the TCC clutch solenoid was not working properly. The transmission was set up to lock up in 2nd and 4th internally, without using a 12v line to the transmission. I live in Central Florida, so I took it back and they replaced the TCC solenoid. When they replaced the solenoid, they removed the check ball above the solenoid. That is how a transmission is set up when using the 12v line to the transmission for the TCC lockup. So the lockup did not work until I installed a 12v line to the transmission. While I was at it, I installed a vacuum switch and two pole brake light switch in the circuit. I purchased the kit from Painless, it worked great. I still have an issue with the shift points. The first to second gear shift point is 1000rpm less that the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points, both part and wide open throttle. The transmission came with a low performance governor, so I bought one from Bowtie Overdrives and installed it myself. I did express my disapproval to The Transmission Depot because I felt that it should have come with a Grand National Governor, since it was described as a “200-4r Grand National Transmission, Stage 1 Comp.” I currently have the car back at their shop for the shift point issue. It is possible that the governor is bad, so I am withholding judgment until I get it back. They say they will fix it under warranty. I should have it back early next week and I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Governor change is easy. Drop the pan and remove the governor housing bolts. Lower the housing and the governor drops out. You may need to swap the speedometer driver gear from the old governor to the new one, needs to have the same number of teeth. The gears are coded by color. There is a snap ring on the governor that you take off, then you can remove and replace the gear. If you do this make sure you get the springs and checkballs back in the same positions. Then just push the governor back into the bore and put the housing back on.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
great info, thanks. i have a 200 that i am going to install soon and this sounds like a good swap to do before i install it.
any chance you know the part #?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I think I have part numbers at my office. I will be there on Friday and can look them up. You may still be able to get a new governor from GM. Most of the ones sold aftermarket are non-performance governors that have had the weights reduced to match the Grand National one. If you are doing a new installation you might as well pull the governor and put the correct speedometer driver for your application on it before you install the transmission.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
The Grand National governor from CK Performance is 24 RG/GN. The GM number for the Monte Carlo SS is 8634927 and for the HO 8639903 (not sure about the shift points on those two governors). Bowtie Overdrives sell a reman Grand National Governor for $85.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
So I picked up the 68 vert from The Transmission Depot today. It still has the same problem with shift points. The part throttle 1 to 2 shift is at 2200rpm and the part throttle 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 are are 3200rpm. What they did is change out the accumulator springs to give a firmer shift. The shift firmness was perfect before, now it spins the tires shifting from 1 to 2 at 1/4 throttle and 2200prm. I will have to solve this myself because I will never deal with them again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is my customer experience with trans depot..do not ever buy from them please..you'll be so sorry.

3/9/2014 7:13:42 PM Hello,i purchased a stage 2 2004r from you all about 3yrs agao..it sat on the shipping crate covered in plastic untill i got it installed this week..trans seems to be working good so far though i havnt been able to road test the car yet other than move vehicle back and forth in drive way..my question is. would there bea way i can start the transmissions warrenty now since it just got installed since purchase??or do i have to buy another warrenty??the place i got my engine fromn also an ebay seller allowed me to start the warrenty now..so im hoping you folks would do same for me..so please let me know what we can work out..thanks!!

Staff
3/10/2014 9:02:32 AM Transmissions are a little different than motors. Sorry ~ No extensions ~ Should you have any issues, we have tech support available ~

Customer
3/10/2014 9:14:32 PM well..ok i guess it is what it is then..i did properly set tv cable as well as do pressure testing in all gears..i surly hope this transmission is what it was sold as..its never gonna see any thing over 300 hp..so the 600hp rating i should never have any issues..ive read alot of customer nightmare story's dealing with you folks..unfortunately after i purchased from you..well i appreciate you standing by your products..makes my stomach tight wondering if ive been ripped off for $1300..well i guess time will tell..if it continues to preform properly after its first road tests and at least a year there after..you wont hear any thing else from me..but if this trans ends up costing me more money..well, im sure you can gather the rest..thanks
truly

Staff
3/11/2014 11:19:38 AM
#1 - We have maybe a handful of "unfavorable" reviews. We have been in business 20+yrs and ship over 100 transmissions worldwide, every single month. I believe there are 7 bad reviews on my company total. With 10,000+ transmissions out there, I think our success rate out-weights the negative.

#2 - Transmission valve bodies have assembly lube in them. When the transmission sits for a period of time, that lube can harden slightly. Causes valves to stick, which can cause transmission to slip, which will cause clutch failure.

Back in 2011 - Why did you not inform us this was a project vehicle? We deal with EVERY situation one can imagine. We DO extend our warranty for project vehicles.

HOWEVER, after 3 years, YOU did not find it necessary to reach out to us that there was a delay. Not only did your warranty expire, but you let another year go by and NOW you want an extension?

Now I have to respond to the statement: but if this Trans ends up costing me more money...well, im sure you can gather the rest.

No, I can not "gather the rest" – You have a running working transmission.
If you buy a TV from BestBuy, it must be returned within 60 days … Will they extend warranty because the living room was not finished? The answer is NO.

It is NOT that I/TransDepot is not standing behind our product, it is simply policy and procedure. We wish you happy motoring ~

If you should need any technical support, we have techs available Monday through Friday 8am-5pm

my response
ok..fully understand...i didnt expect vehicle to sit so long for completion but i ran out of money to finish it..so the past 3 yrs ive been saving everything i can to finish car ..very difficult w 3 kids to raise on single income..so ive finally saved enough to finish it and im just worried the trans may have issues i cant afford at all to fix..and didnt expect to have to fix a new tranny..so i just pray it doesnt give me any issues or ive got a $1300 paper weight..ya know what i mean??ill be forced to save for god knows how long just to get a used stock trans from craigslist that probably wont handle the new engine..hence why i bought new trans instead of having original rebuilt..so i dont mean to come off harsh..just worried..so in your experience..since this trans sat for a wile..is it doomed to fail??should i just remove it until i can get it rebuilt again and just buy a junker trans till then??or should i use some additive to help reverse the downtime?
i do appreciate the communication ..just wish things were different..as i said..havnt road tested it yet..kinda scared too..lol..but it goes in all gears and the pressure is proper in all gears..that doesnt mean a whole lot if the clutches and bands are burning up..so any advice or esp assistance would be awesome..im a nice guy....i guess i just expected you all to help me out as the other companys i purchased from in the beginning of this project did..
2 company's even sent me free parts to replace ones i ordered that didnt fit..and didnt ask me to return original ones..that says alot to me..and im also into alot of promotions and advertising..and believe me i spread the word and alot of it when a company does me right..but when im not treated as i would treat my customers..well..leaves a bad taste in my mouth..and the word goes out as it tastes to me..

there reply..
Sir,

If you need any technical support, feel free to contact us. My technicains are available Monday through Friday 8am-5pm.

And as far as "not treating you well" ..... You bought a transmission and installed it. It is running and functioning properly.
Not sure what more a company can do, than sell something that works.

Furthermore, you are entering into a very serious area called "SLANDER" when you state things like "im also into alot of promotions and advertising..and believe me i spread the word and alot of it when a company does me right..but when im not treated as i would treat my customers..well..leaves a bad taste in my mouth..and the word goes out as it tastes to me.."

We are being "threatened" with your mention of "putting the word out as it taste to you. "

Let me tell you what WE EXPECT. We expect that when customers have custom applications and or project vehicles, they inform us. We try very hard to maintain good customer relations. Even extending warrantys for projects. I am not sure why you would wait 3 years before reaching out to us, but we are not going to feel guilted or bullied into extending a warranty.

Again, should you have any issues, call us. Transmission is not covered under warranty, however, my tech support is FREE and parts (if needed) will be discounted. That is the best I can do.

I sincerely wish you the best ~ I have attached our installation instructions for the 2004R. Be sure the geometry is correct.

Happy Motoring ~

| Transmission Depot
Asst Operations Manager

9538 State Rd 52 Hudson, FL 34669
Office (727)868-9462 Fax (727) 863-9681
transdepot.net| www.transdepot.net

my response

ok...wow...slander..i wasnt threatening at all..and i dont have any thing for you to sue me for..besides a 30yr old car..lol..ok well i guess time will tell then..the trans was installed by an a.s.e master mechanic by the way...well thanks for such a great experience..if the trans fails then i guess its an expensive lesson learned..but i will do my absolute best to stop any one else from making the mistake i did..you wont receive any further communication from me..so please dont sue me..happy transmission building..

so as you can see they are very hateful towards customers regarding anything to do with the warranty and upon the first road test..the trans felt WORSE than the old tired 200c that it replaced..so im now in process if getting car to local shop to have it rebuilt the right way..you also cant find any good reviews any where..just nightmare stories like mine..so beware of this company and spread the word

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased a 700r4 stage 1 from them last summer to put behind a LQ4 in my 69 camaro. My experience was fine, the trans took a little longer to ship than I thought it would, about 4 weeks. I was missing some small parts, when i called about them, they apologized and sent them to me immediately. I have only driven the car about 500 miles since so i cannot comment on durability but it does work fine and shifts properly. Of course I wonder if the internal parts are what they are supposed to be since the trans was one of the less expensive ones on the market but I would think the same with any of them. I don't plan on drag racing or going over 500hp so I think even a stock rebuilt 700r4 would be fine. Note: They do require you to send back the warranty information within a week of getting the trans, I missed that deadline. I guess I could have called them about it but I figured it was my fault for not being on top of it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ron, not sure you were right on this one. You were asking them to extend a warranty on a what if scenerio. You admitted right from the start the tranny seemed ok and operated ok, but you wanted them to guarentee a "but what if it starts to fail when I road test it."

You keep telling them everything seems to operate as it should "BUT"...

What else did you expect thier response to be?

You might of had better luck if you called them after you road tested it and had issues. Then you could had of least said "Hey, I bought this tranny 3 years ago, just got it installed and a having issues...." Then at least you were not starting from a point saying "Everything seems to be working fine, but I want you to exrend my warranty in case I have issues later on."

And yes, they were right in saying you were trying to bully or threaten them. You may try to act if you were being passive aggressive, but you were indeed making slanderous threats. Plus you were trying to get sympathy points about being hard up for money cuz ya was single with 3 kids, etc, etc. Basically you were saying you better extend my warranty and make me happy or I am going to smear your name and I work in a business where I have pull cuz I am in marketing and advertising....Not smart.

I think you approached this from the wrong angle all around and if handled properly you might have had a better resolution. I don't know the company or have one of thier transmissions, just reading your post, I felt you were the one out of line.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I think you approached this from the wrong angle all around and if handled properly you might have had a better resolution. I don't know the company or have one of thier transmissions, just reading your post, I felt you were the one out of line.
Agreed. I'da told him to pound sand. Probably googled transmission depot, found this site and decided to spew. Doubt he'll be back.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
In fact, perhaps the moderator should consider pulling this thread.

It serves no valid purpose, only for the original poster to vent about a non-broken tranny and a shop trying to explain their position on reasonable service.

Maybe keep it as a cautionary tale for vendors and what passes for clients in the modern age of blogging.

Kind of embarrassing to keep something like this on this great site though.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Sorry, but I'm on that guy's side. I bought a gallon of milk from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago but just now got around to buying a box of cereal to put it on. I went by there and told them that I was scared that the milk wasn't going to be any good and wanted my money back if it wasn't and they refused.... Still unopened, had my receipt and everything. So much for their customer service. Wal-Mart used to let you return anything anytime. Guess they're just in it for the money like everyone else now.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Sounds like a great shop to buy my next trany from. I'll keep them on file.
For the last half of my life I've come to the conclusion that the "customer is always right" is BS. Life is a two way street. Business is life. Business is the basis of every step we take in this country. Unless, of course, you like stale milk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
no it wasnt built right at all..first road test yesterday and it slipped in all gears but first...yea i did get lil angry over the warranty and i guess i was dead wrong for going off on them like that..it was my fault all the way around..i let trans uninstalled and empty to long..this caused the lube to harden and seals to shrink and crack..took it to trans shop today..and they said its toast and will have to be rebuilt..so i learned a valuable and expencive lesson on this one..but for the folks here that did have good experience with them..your your part of the few from all ive read..

·
Registered
4 Posts
no the trans failed in the first 2 miles of road test..do to sitting empty so long..all the seals dried and cracked and the assembally lube hardened causing transmission to self distruct in about 2 miles of easy driving..first overdrive went..then 3rd and 2nd and as i was trying to limp it back home when first became nuteral..so it was indeed all my fault..though the trans shop i took it to said there was something wrong with the check balls and something with the tv valve was wrong which added to the quick distruction of the unit..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.