Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I've always gotten got feedback from all my Camaro "guru's" after seeking good tech advice here on the forum.
Call me ignorant, but attempting to check the transmission fluid on my '99 SS the other day, for some reason I cannot pull out the dip stick from the tube. As you probably are aware the dip stick handle end has a locking mechanism that you flip. You then supposed to simply pull out the dip stick from the housing and check the fluid level at the very end, --right?
The thing seems to me to be stuck in the housing. I tried using moderate force to pull on it, but I don't want to use excess force for fear that it may separate at the mouth of the tube leading down to the transmission. Then I won't be able to get at the dip stick at all!

Any ideas, or has anyone experienced this before?:confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've seen this a lot when I was a Chevrolet tech at the dealer. Try working some trans fluid around the seal, deflect the seal slightly with a pocket screwdriver to get the fluid in there real good. keep at it, and go all the way around and about an inch deep as well. It will take some doing, those things basically glue themselves in there with all the heat and time. ..It will come out thou.

p.s. Heat may damage the seal. Trans fluid works better than WD for this, and wont contaminate your trans fluid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to you guys for the feedback regarding my tranny dipstick.
After applying WD-40 onto the throat of my dipstick tube, after a day or two it broke free and I was able to check my fluid level once again.

Many thanks:hurray:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts