Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Use a small dab of oil on the backside of the flair and on the nut threads. This will keep the fitting from binding as you tighten it up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The seal is between the cone on the radiator, and the flare on the tube. The nut and threads are just there to press those two together, and are not part of the seal.

I had a similar leak, turned out PO had cheaped out and did a single flare, and it wasn't sealing. I re-flared the end of the tube, and it sealed fine. The bad flare had caused a nick on the cone surface that I was nervous about, but it worked.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. My flare gasket will arrive Friday but I’m still exploring all my options. I see a lot of stainless flexible lines with an fittings. Does anyone have any experience with them? I’m guessing that they are made in China.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
455 Posts
I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. My flare gasket will arrive Friday but I’m still exploring all my options. I see a lot of stainless flexible lines with an fittings. Does anyone have any experience with them? I’m guessing that they are made in China.
Yep….I try to buy good stuff made in the USA but it will make you cringe sometimes…paying $20-$30 for a fitting.
I used a combination of hard stainless and braided with AN fittings for the external trans cooler.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Strange after working on cars for four decades I can still get a flare fitting to seal. Stainless lines are the exception.
I replaced the radiator with an aluminum one. Apparently the upper inlet is not quite in the same location causing the line to be at a slight angle and not giving a good seal. It’s a slight leak but I don’t want any leak!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Make sure the flare meets the cone WITHOUT needing to use the threads. If you're using the nut to draw it into place, you're setting yourself up for failure. It should line up and meet squarely without any help. And if you crank on that nut too many times, the threads in the radiator are gonna get tired, and then you'll have an even bigger problem.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Make sure the flare meets the cone WITHOUT needing to use the threads. If you're using the nut to draw it into place, you're setting yourself up for failure. It should line up and meet squarely without any help. And if you crank on that nut too many times, the threads in the radiator are gonna get tired, and then you'll have an even bigger problem.
Great advice.

Reactions: Black69

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Took a better look at the flare on the tubing. Doesn’t look real good.
Wind instrument Bicycle part Metal Nail Natural material

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You can get a lapping tool to resurface it....or just try the flare copper gasket

or cut the end off and re-flare it if you have a flare tool

21 - 30 of 30 Posts