Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 that is really a street/strip car, and I humbly admit to not knowing much about transmissions. My expertise is limited to oil changes, and minor tuning.

I've had the car about a year, with fresh TH400 and 454. I noticed some black residue on the tranny stick when checking the fluid. Seems to shift fine, run fine, etc. I've only put about 500 miles on the car, although some have been hard.

Anything to worry about? If I were to need the tranny serviced, who should I go to? Like I said the car is built up, so I have sincere reservations about taking it to the same kind of place I would take my daily driver (87 Olds, to places like Pep Boys, Goodyear, etc.). What kinds of places can I trust to not go hot-rodding around in my car, and know about what high-performance lubricants, etc?

Any help for this novice is appreciated.

------------------
69/454/TH400/Modified/Street-Strip
[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like a tranny service is in order ,
That Black stuff is wear on your tranny
don't worry it happens....
I would trust any reputable car service center to service the tranny , all that has to be done is drop the pan change the filter
reinstall the pan and fill it up with a good
name brand tranny fluid (there is an excellent fluid on the market right just for high performance applications I just can't think of the name right now...)
Good luck
Bill

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with ragtop,it would'nt hurt to change the filter&fluid,this is cheap insurance.Also,you might try this your self,it's pretty strait foreword.If you can change your oil ,you can change your tranny fluid,and save some $ while your at it.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try your GM dealer or any chain type tranny shop. I see that there is a new method of changing all the fluid. Dropping the pan is okay but it does not get all the fluid (stays in torque converter, which contains most of the tranny fluid). The new method supposedly changes all the fluid. Apparently some type of machine/pump was developed to do this (at least for newer cars anyway). I know my local GM Dealer offers it.

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)

·
19,801 Posts
doing a filter/fluid change isn't that bad,just make sure you have a big pan...i'am sure you could do it ...just don't loose any parts and watch what your doing.

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/

·
Registered
252 Posts
Things are different all over, but around here the BP Procare is about top dog for mechanical service. Maybe a little expensive, but good people. No, I don't work there either, which is good for them I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts