Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 67 camaro with a powerglide transmission. The gear shift is in the drive position and it will not lock into another gear. The shifter goes through all the gears with no problem and stays in position of the gear selected but nothing happens. My car will not due anything in reverse and will not park.

thanks,
joe

·
Registered
593 Posts
It won't hold in park either? If not, maybe you have internal linkage issues with the 'rooster comb' detent part of the linkage. Have you dropped the pan yet? If you do and need help let me know. I can get some photos for you to look at for proper parts installation/alignment in there.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sounds like the cable is loose or disconnected on one end. I had a similar issue with my '68 shifter. There was an adjustment bolt on the shifter end that had loosened up, so I could move the shifter through the full range and effectively only hit neutral and drive if I remember right.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Just a note:

A 67 has a mechanical linkage, it can come loose from the trans or the linkage can come apart. The detents in the shifter will make it seem like it's shifting through the gears but the trans lever in the trans is not moving so it will remain stuck in what ever gear it was in when the linkage came apart. 68-69 have a cable that goes to the trans from the shifter.

On my 67 I have a (more like had when I had it togehter and running) a clevis pin and washer that pulled out very easly. When parked at a hotel I just pulled the pin, pulled the linkage from the trans shift lever and moved and hung it on a little bracket I bent up. So if they were going to try and rip it off by driving it they would not get it into gear. I always back into the spot and they would have to tow it with dolly or drag it in park. I hope they would just walk away at that point.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts