Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became a member of this site and so far am really impressed.

I have a 1967 rs/ss camaro with a 400SB, with a Muncie M21 close ratio 4speed and 410 gears. I am looking to swap out the 4 speed with a 5 or 6 speed to give me more top end and less RPM on the engine.

Would like suggestion on which Transmission to use and what would be involved as far electronic on the newer tanny's or go with the older tranny's with out the electronic.

Any suggetions or comment are truly welcome

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
My suggestion is to drop in a ls1 t56. The tranny would love those 4.10's and so would your fuel gauge. On top of that You'd be churning less than 2000rpm's with the .5 overdrive. There are some minor mods that need to be made but you can keep your mech. linkage. You would need an adapter plate and extended pilot bushing from Mcleod, a 26-spline clutch and I think you may even be able to use your old bellhousing (don't quote me on that though). You will also need an electronic speedo adapter, and just wire up the brake lights and your good. Oh you'll have to enlarge your shifter hole and shorten and balance your driveshaft. :D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome aboard, from So. Cal!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
When you get closer to the trans swap, drop down the page to the "mechanical" heading, then look for "transmissions and driveline" forum. Post your questions there. You'll get better response and lots expertice from those that have done the same swap. I'm just looking to get an old T5 in mine someday. Good luck. Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts