Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 95 Camaro (coupe) std. 3.4L. Everything in the car is stock. Just the other day I was going from place to place at one point I got back in the car started it up and from that point on followed this problem. There is virtually no acceleration, it works but barely. The engine now has a deep roar whenever the accelerator is pressed. However the RPM's, appear normal, and if I am not pressing on the gas the engine sounds fine. I've checked my oil, and coolant levels and they are fine. I am confused with my low level knowledge on cars and request your help. After speaking with several people they tell me it's the transmission, and if it is I'd probably want to get it towed in rather than risk causing more damage. Again thanks in advance for anyone that can give me some good advice.

-deedub

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there, cause' it happened to a 3rd Generation Camaro I had, it had the same symptoms, and turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. The car sounded fine at idle, but would not go over 40 or 50 miles an hour.........just food for thought.......KZ

·
Registered
98 Posts
Easy to check too deedub, unbolt the system and see if you get power back.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

·
Registered
571 Posts
Had the same problem on a customers car found 100 lbs of dirt in the air filter, new filter at $6.00 and problem solved.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If it is the CAT, the EGR will get real hot and start to melt. Mine did, but RPM's were restricted. My guess is the problem will be in the transmission or convertor if it an auto or the clutch or clutch slave cylinder if a stick. Checked its fluid lately.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95

[This message has been edited by Mark W. Winning (edited 09-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mark W. Winning (edited 09-12-2000).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Take it to AAMCO or some other transmission shop and have them check the tranny for you. Also check(assuming you have an automatic)if the car will move if you start out in first gear. Possibly it will not accelerate because first gear(and maybe more) is blown, and therefore the tranny is forced to take off in a higher gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts