Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm sure you guys get these kinds of questions all the time "Is this worth it?" "Should I buy it?"
Well first off, I've always been in love with the 3rd gen Camaro, for the longest time, but never got the chance to get one, for one reason or another. But now I've found something... Lets say its a diamond in the rough!

Its an 88 true Iroc-Z not clone. Has the classic 327 V-8 in it. With 350 heads. Has Hooker headers, and flow masters exhaust. And has T tops, that don't leak. Engine runs very sound and smooth. There is no ignition place, previous owner lost the key and so tore out the ignition so he could hot wire it when he needed to drive. The shifter cable is loose and so sometimes it wont go into park from drive, and vice versa. It is also very, very ugly. Its white with black racing stripes, but it is in real bad condition, no rust, but very scratched up, the interior has wires running every which way and its very filthy, with stains everywhere. A/C doesn't work and the tires has about 15% tread life left. The man selling it wont price, but instead expects me to make a bid. So is it worth buying? I'm on a fairly limited budget, working two jobs and starting college back up this coming fall semester, with saying that, would it be a good idea to get it and fix what it needs, being that mechanically its fairly good? Or should I let it slip from my grasp?
Thanks!!
:D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Lets see,

No key, does he have a clear title?
orig engine gone, do you have emissions in your state? Might be tough to get around that.
Shifter has some type of problem, is it orig trans?
All scratched up,
Wires everywhich way, so prob nothing elect works,
Dirty, stains, etc.
No a/c
Bad tires,

Run away, fast.

$250. And your doing him a favor. At least you can pull the engine for something later.
Or, make it into a non street legal drag car since it sounds gutted already.

No.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Of course he wants you to name a price, cause he wants a poor soul to think its gold and pay like 5k for something thats worth nothing.

Run away, don't trust him. He's just looking for the most money he can get.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Here's my opinion of that car; :eek: And it's likely stolen. (I'da used a vomit-face but there aren't any.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
A Diamond in the rough is a piece of coal,that don't even sound like a piece of coal ,sounds like a cow pie ,waisting your time ,save your money get an education and get something better plenty of 3 gens for a good price and clean sound ....JMO Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
First off, I would have the VIN checked out by the law! IF the title is good and there are absolutely no liens on it, get the transmission checked out to make damn sure it is a linkage problem and not something internal. The wires could be nothing more than the remnants of an aftermarket sound system. Unless you know about mechanical things you should get someone to go over the car with you. If everything is in reasonably decent shape and it is the car you want go ahead and start the price. I would make a thourough list, written on paper, and present that and a starting bid of maybe $700-$900 and go from there. I wouldn't start out at more than you could get by parting out the car just in case there is some major damage you didn't see. You should also be honest to yourself and decide if you can do the needed repairs. If you have to pay others, that car could end up costing a fortune. If you can do the work and don't mind doing the work, after the VIN and title are verified, you could end up with a driveable project car. This is just my opinion though. It looks like I may be in the minority here on this one.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
From your description, if you bought for $1, I bet you could still buy a 3rd in better shape for less money than you'd spending fixing that one up.

Check out the Completed listings on Ebay for 3rd gens to get an idea of what stuff is selling for...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I bought an real '87 IROC L98 (350) with a great body and interior last year for $1200. Just needed a valve job, so I replaced the heads. There are much better 3rd gen deals out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, well alright, I finally got through to the guys son, and he wants $1,000 right off, because thats how much the engine was, and how he's also 'put so much hard work' into the car. So... yeah, I was going to offer 200 bucks... ha. so much for that one!

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
You can get a pretty decent 3rd gen for about $2500 these days. I bought my 85 IROC Z beliving they would be limited edition before they built a bazilion. Depends on what you want. I wouldn't let mine go for 8-12 just because it is mine and has semi low miles.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You can get a pretty decent 3rd gen for about $2500 these days. I bought my 85 IROC Z beliving they would be limited edition before they built a bazilion. Depends on what you want. I wouldn't let mine go for 8-12 just because it is mine and has semi low miles.

I totally agree - keep looking. There some real nice original ones out there going for cheap and I see the prices are going lower on these each day. It's taking them longer to sell and therefore prices are declining. You'll find a much nicer one and be much happier:yes:.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Keep lookin'

·
Registered
445 Posts
There are quite a few nice IROC's on ebay in the 5k range. I know your strapped for cash, but wait and buy something to be proud of. Nice paint is gonna cost you over 5 grand.

RUN FOREST RUN

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
As Chris pointed out...you can buy cheap and have to put the bucks out to restore... or get a finished one and put the bucks out there, either way it's gonna cost... your call.

capt

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As Chris pointed out...you can buy cheap and have to put the bucks out to restore... or get a finished one and put the bucks out there, either way it's gonna cost... your call.
In this case, it sounds like he can buy a different car cheap and come out ahead. 3rd gens aren't worth enough right now to be worth restoring a basket case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts