Team Camaro Tech banner

Tremec noise

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Conehead 
#1 ·
I have a new Tremec Tko in my 67 RS. I have about a 1000 miles on it. I got it from Mike Forte. Let me start by saying that I love it, the overdrive has allowed to once again drive my car on the highway. No more 55 mph at 3200 rpm's. More like 60 mph at 2100 rpm's. My question is, has anyone noticed a rattle under heavy load. I don't hear it under normal or moderate driving. But when I turn it lose, shifthing at 6500-6700 I hear a rattle that sounds like if is coming from the trans. I hear it the most in third, but that is proberly because you stay in third alot longer than first or second. Hell, there's no time to listen in first or second. He He. Have any other tremec ownwers had this noise.
Thanks for any info.

------------------
67 RS 383, Tremec TKO
17" Torque Thrust
11.56 @ 117 mph
Build em to drive

#6 ·
Thanks for the replys.It is really hard to tell where it is coming from. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

------------------
67 RS 383, Tremec TKO
17" Torque Thrust
11.56 @ 117 mph
Build em to drive

#7 ·
Hummmm... Mine rattles if I shift too early and lug the engine. Haven't noticed any strange noises at high RPM.

#8 ·
How does everyone's tremec shift. Mine is tight om the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift until it get some temp. in the trans. Usually about 5 miles of driving. After that if shifts smooth as can be.

------------------
67 RS 383, Tremec TKO
17" Torque Thrust
11.56 @ 117 mph
Build em to drive

#10 ·
Mine was really tight when I installed it, but it has loosened up. It definitely is not "smooth as butter".

#11 ·
So what's the consensus on this thing... is it a good tranny or not? I'd like to change out my Muncie to one of these when that 2:92 first gear becomes available early next year.
Is everybody happy with the Tremec, and these are just little "nit-picky" things, or is there some genuine disapointment out there?

I'd appreciate your honest opinions.

Thanks,

John

#12 ·
I am certainly not disappointed. I had an OEM Hurst shifter on my M-21 and the Tremec shifter puts it to shame. The OD is great too - it's the reason I went with the Tremec in the first place.

#13 ·
I need to know what brand and type of trans oil everyone is using in their Tremecs. The only oil I could find was a Dexron III equivalent. I ended up buying Mobil 1 (which is Dexron III equiv) but it is a full synthetic I believe. Fortes specs a syncromesh semi-synthetic. The instructions that came with the trans specified Dexron II or Mercon equivalent. Needless to say, I have not used the Mobil 1 and really do not know which oil to use. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

#14 ·
Amen Doyle. I'm considering the swap down the road to dump by 3 speed Saginaw.

Even my Sag is tight when cold; fine when warm. I'm also wondering about any Tremec regrets. I like the OD, but I am running a 3.08 posi with no plans to switch. So I'm also considering the Richmond 4+1.

Any thoughts?

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/

#15 ·
No dissapointments at all. It is a great trans. I some times hear every little thing when I make a change. Especially whin it cost what it cost me to go from a turbo 400 to the tremec. The main reason I made the move was to get the O.D. A added plus is it has the made the car a blast to drive. As far as fluid, look on the Tremec web site. They recommend ATF for the first 800 to 1000 miles. (check tremec for exact milage) After that they recommend GM syncromesh. Tremec also has a tech line 1-800-401-9866. I have heard some people fuss about the cost of the GM fluid, $10 to $15 a quart. But I got mine at the local Chevy dealer for $7. Even if it was $15, thats not much compared to what the trans cost. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
67 RS 383, Tremec TKO
17" Torque Thrust
11.56 @ 117 mph
Build em to drive

#16 ·
Ckaram..........The 3.08's may depend on you motor combo. I am only taching 2100 at about 65 mph with 3.73's. With 3.08's you would at about 1600 rpm's at 55 mph, and about 80 mph at 2100 rpm. Theses #'s are with my 255/50/17's which are about 27 inches tall. There are plenty of calculators out here to figure these #'s. The reason I mention the motor combo is my 383, (single plain bowtie intake, heads 2.05 / 1.60 valves, ported exhaust, comp cams 305 shaft, carb shop 850 double pump, etc.) is not real happy at 2000 rpm. But it loves 3500 and up. Just something to think about. I may go back to 4.10's or even 4.56's. The downside would be that 3.27 first gear.

------------------
67 RS 383, Tremec TKO
17" Torque Thrust
11.56 @ 117 mph
Build em to drive

[This message has been edited by Conehead (edited 11-05-2002).]

#17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LarryC5:
I need to know what brand and type of trans oil everyone is using in their Tremecs. The only oil I could find was a Dexron III equivalent. I ended up buying Mobil 1 (which is Dexron III equiv) but it is a full synthetic I believe. Fortes specs a syncromesh semi-synthetic. The instructions that came with the trans specified Dexron II or Mercon equivalent. Needless to say, I have not used the Mobil 1 and really do not know which oil to use. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TTC strongly recommends the GM synchromesh trans fluid, as does Forte. You'll get better shifting, and it'll last longer.

The synthetics aren't really recommended either, by TTC or Forte. It's (GM synchromesh) a little pricey at $10/qt, but good stuff. You can get it at your local GM dealer.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold Member, #178: '69 Malibu Pro-Street
Tremec Distributor at http://www.5speedtransmissions.com
Ask about the Team Camaro Discount
mjpell@prostreetcar.com or mjpell@5speedtransmissions.com

[This message has been edited by mjpell (edited 01-10-2003).]

#18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Doyle:
So what's the consensus on this thing... is it a good tranny or not? I'd like to change out my Muncie to one of these when that 2:92 first gear becomes available early next year.
Is everybody happy with the Tremec, and these are just little "nit-picky" things, or is there some genuine disapointment out there?

I'd appreciate your honest opinions.

Thanks,

John
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've liked mine so much I became a distributor. :) I offer TC members a discount also.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold Member, #178: '69 Malibu Pro-Street
Tremec Distributor at http://www.5speedtransmissions.com
Ask about the Team Camaro Discount
mjpell@prostreetcar.com or mjpell@5speedtransmissions.com

#19 ·
Though I would give an update on my tremec. Everything has worked out fine with mine after a little live and learn experience. I had tried to dial the bellhousing in with the motor in the car.(on the shop floor, no lift)
While it may be possible, it did not work for me.
I ended up pulling the motor and dialing it in on the bench. Sure enough it was way out.
I got it to with-in .003.
After I put it back togather, it shifts like I thought it should have all the time.

At least it gave me an chance to clean up the motor and frame, and hit em with some fresh paint.

------------------
67 RS 383, Tremec TKO
17" Torque Thrust
11.56 @ 117 mph
Build em to drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.