Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have a TKX 5 speed and I'm over the 500-600 mile break-in oil change but Tremec is out of the transmission fluid with none in site. I hear there is compatible transmission fluid out there but have read pros and cons of using it. I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The Tremec "brand" (read IDK if it's made by someone else...) TKX gear oil is a GL4 70-85 wt synthetic oil

Red Line D4, and I assume some other brands, are also GL4 oil 70-80 wt

Tremec 411
TREMEC HP-MTF Transmission Fluid - American Powertrain

Redline D4
D4_ATF_PROD_INFO_2020.pdf (redlineoil.com)

FWIW I use the Redline in my T56. It is available at auto part stores, Summit, Amazon, etc

IMHO you will be fine with any quality brand GL4 rated gear oil. I found the Redlne does improve cold (notchy) shift. I understand your concern about changing gear oil after break in. and I did also and Redline has proved to work well for years now. It will likely be the last change I did on the T56.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If your dead set on using the Tremec brand, I would just run it a bit longer until it's available again.
Before Tremec had their own brand oil they recommended GM Syncromesh, and since Penzoil makes Syncromesh for GM, I just used the Penzoil Syncromesh for about 1/2 the cost for my TKO 600. I meant to dump it after the break in but it's been two seasons and I still haven't. I was told by a Tremec tech that keeping the break in oil longer isn't that a big deal. I probably should change it by spring though.
Is it just me, or does anybody else at first glance think Randy's name is Randy Burnout ? Must be the because of that Camaro pic ;)

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Where did you buy the TKX, what do they recommend instead?

Is it just me, or does anybody else at first glance think Randy's name is Randy Burnout ?
Yup!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
FWIW back when I bought (2005) my Tremec from D&D I asked them if I can use something other than DEX3, specifically Redline D4. The answer was yes and D&D noted Tremec does not test every brand so they only recommend what they have actually tested although it would be assumed any other "brand" with the same class rating, in this case GL4, would be fine. Since my transmission was made in 2005 even though it is a 94-97 T56, it has carbon blocker rings so I can run synthetics

IIRC prior to 1999 Tremec used paper blocking rings and switched to carbon then. The paper ones did not like synthetics, but carbon does not have a problem with it. I assume every trans Tremec makes, since 1999, has carbon blocker ring material and synthetics are fine

·
Registered
789 Posts
Lubrication Specifications
For all TKX 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends TREMEC High Performance Manual Transmission Fluid
(HP-MTF™), Dexron-III, GM Synchromesh™, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, or Pennzoil® Synchromesh. Fluid capacity
is 2.7 quart / 2.6 liter.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your dead set on using the Tremec brand, I would just run it a bit longer until it's available again.
Before Tremec had their own brand oil they recommended GM Syncromesh, and since Penzoil makes Syncromesh for GM, I just used the Penzoil Syncromesh for about 1/2 the cost for my TKO 600. I meant to dump it after the break in but it's been two seasons and I still haven't. I was told by a Tremec tech that keeping the break in oil longer isn't that a big deal. I probably should change it by spring though.
Is it just me, or does anybody else at first glance think Randy's name is Randy Burnout ? Must be the because of that Camaro pic ;)
My teachers back in high school always called me Burnout...and I was a burnout back then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tremec makes transmissions. Not fluids. So it is obviously bottled by someone else. Just find out who that is.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Silver Sport recommended Penzoil Synchromesh after break in.
That's what I am using for the past 600 miles or so in my TKX and all is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts