Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SBC in a 69 Camaro w/MSD 6AL,Pro billet dist.,Timing retard box.When i drive the car after getting it up to temp. shut it off for 20-30 minutes it will not hit a lick no poping no nothing.After about 2 hrs. or so it will fire right up and run fine until you shut it off again.I called MSD and they told me to mount my Blaster2 coil verticle instead of horizional.I did that and it still had same problem.I replaced the coil, have same problem.What would you replace next? I need a procedure to troubleshoot.Please help!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
I'd remove the retard box and try it.
I had the same problem and found out that when i put sleeving over my wires from dist to MSD, I had to remove the connector plug. When I re-installed the plug, I got the wires reversed. This put the distributor out of phase by aprox 30 degrees, the spark would fire when the rotor tip was not near the contact in the dist cap. When the rpm's increased, the mechanical advance moved the rotor even farther away overloading the MSD and causing it to quit. This took about 3 laps of running hard on a road course to happen, I guess it overheated. It would run fine after it cooled down.

In general, if you don't have my type of problem, something may be causing your MSD to see higher loads than normal which will overheat it. A bad coil wire with super high resistance would do it, the MSD would go ahead and generate enough voltage to fire the plugs but not for long due to overload.
David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.