Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a heck of time trying to figure out what is going on with my horns on my '69. It seems to me that there should be a single black wire coming up from the steering column (ground) for the horns. Once that wire is touching metal, the horns should start beeping.

For some reason I have 2 wires coming through the top of the column. One black wire and one white wire. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out what the heck this white wire would be for and no matter hard I try to ground the black wire, I get no horns at all.

Any and all advice/opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I'm having a heck of time trying to figure out what is going on with my horns on my '69. It seems to me that there should be a single black wire coming up from the steering column (ground) for the horns. Once that wire is touching metal, the horns should start beeping.

For some reason I have 2 wires coming through the top of the column. One black wire and one white wire. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out what the heck this white wire would be for and no matter hard I try to ground the black wire, I get no horns at all.

Black & White wires are leads for the horn contacts as viewed in this picture.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Use the horn trouble shooting page in Jim Shea's list of articles. When I was diagnosing my horn, I started at the relay and worked back to the steering column.

alan

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

Did you solve your horn problem? If so,what was the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you solve your horn problem? If so,what was the issue?
Not yet. Looks like maybe my turn single switch may be part of the problem. There is like a little plunger piece that makes contact with the canceling cam and that piece seems like it can doesn't pop up enough to make proper contact. If I bang on the steering column, it will eventually pop up. I have tried to clean that piece, lube, etc. but to no avail. Looks I'm going to have to replace the turn single switch in order to address it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts