Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I have a bit of a problem. I am going to get a new crate motor soon, still looking for a mechanic to install. I am a daily driver, only car right now and need to keep the engine going a bit longer. This is the problem. When I drive it over 52 miles per hour (everyday about 6 miles) it starts sputtering, surging, popping -- kind of like coughing. It doesn't die it kind of kicks back in. It doesn't occur contantly every minute or two. I have read my books and searched this site but nothing quite like it. It is a 327, newer two bbl carb, 2 sp. powerglide, new tune up with new plugs and wires. I do have an Accel bypass points deal on it. It doesn't do it when I slow under 52mph? The engine is getting bad though - taking off is rough and powerless but it has been getting me around like this for 6 months. This problem, however is new? Any idea's? It is pretty weird. Do you think, fuel filters inline and carb? Carb or vacuum?

Thanks for you help!:eek:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My guesses would be fuel pump, trash in carb, fuel filter, bad ignition module, bad coil, stuck advance mechanism, or wiring. Do you have a tach? If not, borrow one. If the tach jumps around when it's sputtering, start looking at the ignition. If the tach is rock solid, look at the fuel system.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Did it act this way before the tune-up? I would look into just what was touched during the tune-up. Typically what you are describing has very little to do with the heart of the engine itself (meaning block, pistons, heads etc).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts