Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having a problem starting my 81 camaro, when i turn the ignition to start with the clutch in nothing happens, no click form the starter no turning over all that happens is the park brake light comes on, could it be my clutch safety switch

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Derek..

Is the battery good? Are the lights and everything else working properly? Try and charge the battery and/or jump the car to see if it cranks or starts up. Check the switch at the bottom of the column..neutral safety switch and see if it will crank (PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL FIRST) while you wiggle the wires to it or depress the button. You can also unplug the wires to it and jump with a paper clip to test it.

Kev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is fine and the lights and everything else works fine. i can start the car by pushstarting it. I also tried to crossover the neutral safety switch wires while it was unplugged and now when i turn the ignition to start still nothing happens but the park brake light doesn't come on anymore.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If you can get to the neutral safty switch wires, put a DVM on it and see if 12V appears when you attempt to crank it. If not, then work your way back to the ignition switch. You might even try to apply 12V to the NSS and see if it attempts to crank.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
The battery is fine and the lights and everything else works fine. i can start the car by pushstarting it. I also tried to crossover the neutral safety switch wires while it was unplugged and now when i turn the ignition to start still nothing happens but the park brake light doesn't come on anymore.

Check the wires going to the starter...

Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts