Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and have looked over most of the forums to solve my problem. No luck. I replaced the PS pump recently in an effort to resolve a squeel/bearing noise coming from the ps pump. Makes no difference if the ps pump is under load or at idle. Same exact noise two pumps into it. I've tried bleeding. No luck. The only fluid change was done installing the second pump (about 3/4 quart). Any ideas. It sounds like bearings going bad in the pump.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I once had a Chevrolet pickup with a bad alternator bearing. The alternator was mounted right above the power steering pump. The squeal, whine, sounded exactly like a power steering pump going bad. The noise even changed with engine rpm and also when turning the steering wheel! (The only thing I can guess is that the tension on the drive belt changed when turning the steering wheel. The increased tension on the belt also affected the bearing in the alternator.

After you changed pumps, added fluid, deaireated the system, and went for a ride; was the fluid in the reservoir clear or milky colored? If it was clear, then most likely you did get all of the air out of the system.

BTW I recommend that you used genuine GM power steering fluid because it was specifically formulated to work with the Saginaw power steering pumps. Not that the other fluids are all that bad, but the GM fluid is specific for the Saginaw pumps.
JIML82

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise. I did use Dextron ATF (Not GM Brand) I am sure the noise is from the PS pump. All air is out of the fluid. I bought the whole assembly from Rick's including the reservoir. Not sure who does their remans. Think I should call them?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Did you try a new belt ? It doesn't matter how tight it is or how old it is.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a belt. By spraying a little water on the belt the squeel would go away and return. I adjusted to eliminate the squeel. Been perfect ever since.

·
10,157 Posts
If oil ever gets on the belt it can cause it to slip and squeal. Since the pump fill is so close to the belt this can happen quite easily.

Be sure you have transferred the internal valve correctly, the nut end faces the front of the car. Most rebuilt pumps require you to transfer this internal valve.
David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone. Problem solved. I used the water spray on the belt and it stopped the squeal immediately. I will try to adjust the tension and replace the belt if that doesn't do the trick. :hurray: You guys are the best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts