Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 with a SB 350. I have a new battery that has been sitting on a trickle charger when the car is in the garage. The car acts like I am trying to start with an almost dead battery. As if there is not sufficient energy to turn over the motor.

I do not know what to trouble shoot. I think the battery is good since the headlights are bright. Today is Cars & Coffee and I want to take the car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Turn on your headlights and put a volt meter on the battery and try cranking, if headlights dim and voltage drops, battery may have gone bad even though it was on a trickle charger. Next test would be an inductive amp meter held against one of the primary battery cables while cranking, that will show if the starter is bad and pulling too many amps, but you need a good battery for that test to be accurate. Those two tests should tell you what you need to know, good luck.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
hook up some jumper cables and see if it will spin. if yes more than likely it's your battery.
if not go for the starter
are the contacts clean on the battery?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more question (kinda related). I have a firebird that came with a chevy engine. The battery is set up where the positive (red) terminal is inches from the right inner fender on the right side of the radiator. I have made accidental sparks with wrenches in the past. Is that the stock set up?

·
Premium Member
19,676 Posts
One more question (kinda related). I have a firebird that came with a chevy engine. The battery is set up where the positive (red) terminal is inches from the right inner fender on the right side of the radiator. I have made accidental sparks with wrenches in the past. Is that the stock set up?
On my 67 the positive battery post is on the radiator (LH) side and negative (RH) next to the fender. Is your chassis ground (the small ground wire) still connected to the right fender? Normally the smaller ground wire is to short to put the wrong battery in the car. If you disconnect the negative side first (which is always a good idea) you won't have any problem.

Roger

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the battery. thank you for the testing advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts