Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 camaro -
I have a new complete Factory Fit setup from AAW installed. Having issues getting my dash to light up. My dimmer switch indicator lights up when triggered from the floor switch.

Using a multimeter with continuity tone, I get a tone on all fuse terminal pairs.
All except for the dash cluster. Does this mean I got a bad fuse panel?

I'm sure AAW will make good on it, but what PITA it is to install.

·
14,268 Posts
Have you turned the headlight knob to full on?

If so does the dome light come on?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Did you remember to ground the dash segment?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I did a little digging around.
I think I have a bad HL switch. There's no power to the green wire (dash cluster wire) when I pull the knob out. I also tried an old HL switch I had laying around and there's no power to that green wire either.

Could this be a coincidence or is there something else in play here?
I guess my next step would be to put a new switch in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I think I have a ground issue.
After testing the green wire from switch, I finally got power.

Only issue I see now is one or 2 bulbs in cluster are lighting up. The circuit board tore at one point so I tried to mend it with a thin copper strip. Guess that didn't work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still only one bulb lit on instrument cluster. Only the one closest to where the ground strap bolts to lights up.

New circuit board, new light switch, I even pulled the tabs up on the light bulb sockets before screwing them back in.

I don't get it. What am I missing? What else can I test or try.

Thanks.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
67-68 instrument clusters are notorious for bad grounds. Run a ground wire from the housing to the dash frame. The original ground is the clip by the high beam indicator. Most folks run the wire from that location to someplace close on the frame with enough slack to remove the cluster int he future.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Pull each dash bulb out and using 12v try and get them to light up by themselves. They probably won't. I ended up having to screw with the contacts on my brand new bulbs to make sure they were making a connection to my original sockets.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem solved. all bulb socket contacts were dirty.
after scraping them all down they work.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts