Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't Camaro related but I have a question. My son has a 1986 Chevrolet 3/4 4X4 with 8600 GVWR. He has bought 33 X 12.5 tires and mounted them on 16 X 10 inch wheels. We are now needing to install a lift kit.

We have determined the bumper height will still be legal if we install a 4 inch or 6 inch lift. Both kits come with the rear blocks and new springs/bushings for the front. They also include all the U-bolts/nuts for the shackles.

My question is, if we install any one of these kits, will we also need to change out any of the steering components? Will the idler arm, pitman arm and drag link need to be changed. It also has a heavy sway bar mounted to the lower portion of the front spring shackles. Will that have to be changed also?

We have priced several kists and none of them indicate the steering parts need to be changed. If someone could advise us we would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You will only need a C-arm for the steering. It'll work with both the 4" and the 6" kit. Anything over that, and you'd need a dropped drag link, also. Most complete kits will include the C-arm. It's the one which goes from the spindle to the drag link, mounts on 3 studs. You'll have fun getting the old one off, as it uses tapered cones on the studs, under the nuts. The sway bar will need new mounts from the frame, should come with the 6" kit. I'm not sure if they come with a 4" kit, as the sway bar will still hook up, although you'll lose some articulation without the drop mounts. Also think about your exhaust and driveshafts. With the lift, your front driveshaft won't clear the stock exhaust, so you'll need duals, or reroute the crossover further back. The front driveshaft, with the 4" kit, will pull the yoke out about 2". I found that a front driveshaft from an '83 Dodge Ramcharger with a 318/208 t-case, Dana 44 front axle, is exactly 2" longer than the stock Chevy shaft, so it'll swap right in. You might need a conversion joint if you're running anything other than a Dana 44. Not sure about the Dana 60, if you have one. Might be able to get by with a stock 1/2 ton front driveshaft with a 60 front. Rear driveshaft will work fine as is with a 4" lift, but you'll need a longer one for the 6", most likely, if you don't feel comfortable with the slipyoke riding 2-3" out from stock, as it might pull apart if you're wheelin'. It pulls out about 1 1/2" with the 4" kit. These are just a few points I can offer. I've done a couple of these trucks in the past few months. Good luck with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts