Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little new to the restoration game, so please excuse me for my ignorance on this subject.

Do all Camaro SS's have 12-bolt rear-ends? I am pretty confident all of the big block cars had 12-bolt, but what about the 350 SS's? Did some of them come with 10-bolt rear-ends?

I am looking at a '69 SS. Is there easy ways to identify this is a true SS (without finding the build sheet)?

------------------

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Yes, all 67-8 SS's got 12 bolts. There is the possibility that 69 SS350 powerglides got 10 bolts, but that it still unproven.

There were several other models (L30/M20, all LM1's, and L65/M20) that also got 12 bolts.

See http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml for the details on an SS.

Send me the #'s off of the cowl tag and the VIN or post them and we should be able to help you even more.

[email protected]

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have never heard/read that there was a SS-350 / Powerglide package. I thought all SS cars were standards, TH350's or TH400's. The SS engine designations (350 ci) were HA (350/300 hp/std.) and HB (350/300hp/TH350).
Is this not correct?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like all GM cars their are exceptions to the rule but I believe that all '69 SS cars had 12-bolts, 5-leaf springs and at least a 350. A 10-bolt doesn't necessarily make it NOT an SS - I just put a 3.08 10-bolt in my car because I drive it 100 miles a day - because 30 years old cars go thru a lot of changes. Unless you have a build sheet (or protect-a-plate there is no way to PROVE it is an SS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts