Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys putting the battery in the trunk for my rebuild. Just got aaw kit. Where did you guys route your wires through the car?

·
Super Moderator
32,532 Posts
Open pass door, remove 'Body by Fisher' sill plate, remove carpet stiffeners.
See the wide trough?
This is where I ran the cables from the kick panel to the trunk.
Out of the way and protected when all removed items are reinstalled.

·
15,370 Posts
Same here...
Up over the wheel hump inside conduit, down along the edge to that wire trough, then through a grommet in the firewall just below (and I mean JUST below!) the heater box, and out.

Hard to see them but they're right below the heater box, close to the engine. The BATT cable passes through it's own grommet... the rest through another one, and right over to the starter.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming that there is enough room to get behind the kick panel. It has been 2 years since I took the them out.

·
Super Moderator
32,532 Posts
It is best to run a separate neg cable back to the battery.
But, you can cabkl from eng block to subframe and body and cable from a welded bolt on the unibody/trunk to battery.
Follow NHRA General Guidelines in mounting the battery in the trunk.
I used 3/8 threaded rod and bolted the rods through the frame rail using fender washers outside and a nut & lock washer for the battery box/frame inside.
Install battery, slap on a 1.5 -2.0 by 1/4 inch thick flat bar on top of the battery and use a thumbnut/wingnut with flat washer to tighten against battery.
Done. it ain't going anywhere.

·
15,370 Posts
Barely enough room with the multiple wires that needed to be run behind the kick panel.
The starter and other wires can be hidden pretty easily... but add in the fat BATT cable and it gets tight.
:)

I didn't add a ground cable directly to the tranny because it's bolted to the engine... I just have a bunch of 3\4" wide braided ground cables going from the body to the frame, the frame to the engine, and the body to the engine on both sides. I also tied the front subframe to the rear frame rails with ground cables. I have frame connectors but everything is painted, and they're not welded in.
The NEG battery cable goes through the trunk floor and bolts to the frame rail.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YOUR RIGHT THERE IS NOT A LOT OF ROOM VINTAGE AIR, MSD 6AL (UNDER DASH) AAW KIT FUEL PUMP RELAY.....aaaaaaaaaagggggggggg
BEST TO HAVE A COUPLE OF BEERS TO KEEP A MELLOW HEAD?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would also like to go through the firewall by the starter also. Like the pics above. Gonna miss lead east this year.... Oh well

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I ran my wire as Everett (aka Jake) described, to a bulkhead connector under the heater box. I used 1/0 welding cable for both the pos and the ground. The cable tucks under the kick - I did not have to remove it.

From the firewall side of the BHC is a short run to the Starter. My charge wire connects here also, as well as a relay for the starter.

I used the car body for the ground path. Welded a nut to the subframe and a short 1/0 cable to the engine block. I have welded-in subframe connectors.

Regarding the ground, this from Mad Electrical -

"The battery ground (NEG) is connected to the car body at the rear. And up front, another short length 1/0 cable connects from body to the engine. This system uses the car body for the long intermediate length of the NEG side of the system all the way to the engine. (It’s actually more efficient than routing a heavy gauge cable all the way forward to the engine.) And this system insures that the car body is well grounded–which is very important. Lights, fans, gauges, and many electrical system parts are connected to ground at the body metal. The accessory systems work very well with this system."

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone have a good picture od the passenger kick panel w/ all the wires. how much am I going to have to cut?

·
14,107 Posts
Do you guys really want to run the battery cable in the passenger compartment?

I ran mine hidden under the car tucked up tight to the body and subframes.

I also added a solenoid so the battery cable is only hot when the starter is engaged.

A separate #10 wire runs from the battery side of the solenoid to power the car. This one goes to a terminal junction block that also gets the Alt wire.

All wiring and hoses run in the inner fenders to firewall bulkheads

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I ran one basically following the fuel line under the car. Lot safer and easier to service. 1/0 welding cable. Ground to body. Body and motor had fat ground straps interconnected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts