Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to install my trunk divider, so I could install the back seat. I thought it was supposed to go with the cardboard to the trunk, and the jute to the back of the seat. However, the pre-punched holes did not line up. Turn it around so the jute is to the trunk, and the holes line up perfectly.

Should the jute be visible from the trunk, or are my holes punched incorrectly?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The jute backing was not originally used in any cars, it's an aftermarket add-on. The fiberboard should show from the trunk to be original looking. Seems like the board should be reversible though. Doesn't it just hang on the two hooks?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, It hangs on 3 hooks, but the hooks are not symetric. When the jute is toward the trunk, on the divider I have, the holes are off by about 3". Flip it around, and the holes line up perfectly with the hooks. The only way to have the jute face in, is to punch new slots in the divider. Guess that's what I'll do. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My new trunk divider I got from Rick's over a year ago is the same - jute to the trunk. The holes are offset so I'll have to punch new ones or maybe just cover the jute with something like black vinyl or a thin sheet of black cardboard glued to the jute.

I thought it looked backwards! Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't have the jute padding but after 36 yrs the black side of my divider was looking rough so I took some black tar paper I had left over from doing my roof and I cut a pc. to fit my divider including holes for hooks and where it folds around wheel well. Put the side with the lines in of course then take some adhesive spray I used Heads up from Pepboys it's really for headliners but it works good.

To make it adhere even better after applying it I put a pc of plywood on top of it and sat my lawn tractor on top of it for about a half hour. Looks real good from the trunk and we all know how long tar paper last.

In your case just cut a piece to fit the divider and cut the hook holes and slit the sides where it folds. (App 1) Glue it to the jute padding. (App 2) Cut 2 or 3 pieces of tar paper to make it more rigid glue them together lightly glue it to the metal frame. Make sure that it's not too thick that the seat won't sit in place.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RamJam, I ended up turning the cardboard toward the trunk, and recutting the slots. Took me about 30 minutes to measure, mark, test-fit, and punch the slots. I actually punched two holes and and cut between with a utility knife to form a slot.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts