Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pro’s and cons of having a trunk mat if any. Pretty sure mine originally came with one as there was remnants of a cut up one when I got it.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
I agree with Thor, and will add that it looks like a cheap picnic table cover. I personally can't stand them.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,439 Posts
The OE rubber mats, under certain climate conditions, will create condensation and rust. The cheapo vinyl/ felt back repro would probably be safe, but I've yet to see one that looks decent as they usually have wrinkles and don't lay flat.

Carpet is another option for insulation and appearance, but obviously one would need to make sure there aren't any trunk leaks !

BTW, trunk mats were included with deluxe interiors (Z87) only.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. I was just wondering as I found a good deal on a thick rubber one that looks like a table cloth. My trunk does not leak and I do have the deluxe interior. I don't really open the trunk just to put the car cover in and out so it may not be worth it if it traps moisture.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
If it doesn’t breathe condensation will form under it. Bad idea imho...

Don

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
If it doesn’t breathe condensation will form under it. Bad idea imho...

Don
100% correct. And if you use the cheap rattle can trunk spatter you have no protection.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
FWIW my car came with a repop one and it lays flat. My "splatter" paint under it is original. I live in CA and car was from AZ so not seeing a "condensation" thing happening under it in my area. YMMV

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Even in my dry garage, with car cover, my California car showed rust under the new (4yrs old) NOS mat. Cleaned it up, spatter and satin clear. . . . .looks great. My other 2 have the carpet. What ever you want, go for I. Just our experience.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Temperature cycles are what causes the condensation to form. The bigger the swings and the more frequent they are the greater the condensation.

Don

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I installed this in my trunk today. I got it at oreilly's it is called garage gaurd, it is made to absorb spills in a garage. I just folded and glued two pleats in it and trimmed around the wheel house and it fits pretty good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Temperature cycles are what causes the condensation to form. The bigger the swings and the more frequent they are the greater the condensation.
:thumbsup:

This is exactly why I keep fresh bags of desiccant in my trunk year round. For winter storage I like the CarJacket in conjunction with numerous bags of desiccant. To restore the used desiccant to fresh status I put the bags in my attic during the summer months where the extreme heat dries them out. After a few weeks of cooking I then put them in a sealed ziplock bag until I need them at which time I take out of the sealed bag. Basically the same process the mfg. of the desiccant recommends which is using an oven. The only difference being you don't have to break open the bags and pour the desiccant onto a cookie sheet to dry it out. This method requires the fresh desiccant to be poured into a special canister then reused vs. leaving it in the original bag which obviously you cannot dry in an oven. JMO and it works for me.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
100% correct. And if you use the cheap rattle can trunk spatter you have no protection.
When I worked in auto parts the cheap rattle can we sold recommended that you clear over them. IIRC the Splatter was water based so no protection if not cleared.

Jeff

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,439 Posts
:thumbsup:

This is exactly why I keep fresh bags of desiccant in my trunk year round. For winter storage I like the CarJacket in conjunction with numerous bags of desiccant. To restore the used desiccant to fresh status I put the bags in my attic during the summer months where the extreme heat dries them out. After a few weeks of cooking I then put them in a sealed ziplock bag until I need them at which time I take out of the sealed bag. Basically the same process the mfg. of the desiccant recommends which is using an oven. The only difference being you don't have to break open the bags and pour the desiccant onto a cookie sheet to dry it out. This method requires the fresh desiccant to be poured into a special canister then reused vs. leaving it in the original bag which obviously you cannot dry in an oven. JMO and it works for me.
I was under the impression that type of desiccant loses it's effectiveness after 3-4 recyclings ? I now use "Dry-Z-Air" in the winter months, but one wouldn't want to drive the car with those active pots in the trunk.

And quite honestly, I still wouldn't trust a rubber mat, even with the use of desiccant.:noway:...not in the climate conditions (as Don describes)my car is subjected to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts