Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first I did do a search but seems all the posts were when operating gauges stopped working. I have started from scratch and nothing is factory. My setup is a Summit alum cell in the trunk and autometer gas gauge. Everything is wired/grounded correctly as far as instructionaly. Seems I need to wire some resistance thru the sending unit wiring to dial in the correct ohms that the unit should be reading. Has anybody done this that can adv what type of resistors to use and the amount? Thanks for all the help ~ again.
oh if it matters the sending unit came installed in the fuel cell

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
All you should need is the correct sending unit. GM uses a 90 ohm unit. You might need to call the fuel cell manufacture or who sold it to you to see what sending unit you have. I have a aluminum fuel cell in my car and it works fine. I have to really top it off to have it go the full line on the gage. Also make sure the ground is hooked up and is good. What kind of problems are you having.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
In some cases you can fudge them with external resistors. It depends on whether or not the sender reads high resistance full or visa versa. If it operates the same as a stock sensor (high resistance full) you may be in luck. Tell me what your readings are and I'll tell you how to fudge it if it can be done. The fix will consist of either series resitance with the sender, a paralell resistance to ground, or both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 20 gal cell and we dumped prob little more than 10 gals for the initial start-up but the needle hardly moved off the post. As expected, when the ground is removed, it shoots way past full. I am using the ground post on the sending unit to ground the gauge per the autometer instructions. I ran a wire to the master cut off switch as the 12v source (ignition). I have not called summit yet tho I am curious what unit they would install since apparently there is no 'universal'.
Oh Dave, a friend that knows how to use a meter read the resistance but I dont remember what they were and I cant get hold of him right now, I will post them asap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts