Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys running the Metro trunk weatherstriping, are you using the hollow or solid weather strip? Seems like the hollow would help my situation, so I'm curious what you all are using. Just installed new trunk weatherstrip from NPD and trunk won't close. My trunk sat real nice after I'd cut the rubber bumpers in half so it mated with the quarters when closed. That was with the old weatherstrip. With the new weatherstrip it won't close and latch and sits up above the quarters quite a bit. I'm going to try the Metro kit after reading the old posts here on it.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I am not aware of a hollow Metro trunk seal, but I can say that the solid Metro is much better than the OER seal.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Dave, pay the money for the GM seal. I went through a soffseal and metro seal trunk WS and they both leaked. Bought the GM stuff and I have no leaks since then.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
There are so many NOS trunk weatherstrips on eBay at any given moment that I have to think you can still get them from GM.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I used one witha green lable, some off brand I bought on E-bay a few years ago. I can not remember the brand but it worked very well for me. It did not leak, it sealed up very nice and compressed good but not to much. No leaks from the seal just from the rust behind the back window. I removed the seal when the 67 was taken apart. It did not survive. Good product if anyone know the brand from my vage discription.

Joe

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe original had the white string running thru it and the NOS one I have is a replacement from GM w/o string (PN# 3927464) I just hope it seals ok.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I found some discussion on the hollow style doing a search on the site here in the old topics. I suppose the GM NOS seals makes sense they'd work and allow the trunk to close and fit right. That's my biggest problem right now is the trunk won't close without adjusting the catch up until the point where the lid sits about 1/4" above the rest of the sheet metal.

Luckily the trunk weatherstripping is inexpensive so if I have to try multiple brands it won't be a big deal. I'll start with the GM stuff and if I still have problems I'll try some of the others mentioned.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
You will still have the same problem with the GM weatherstrips that are sold on ebay. Those are generic and not really made just for a camaro unless you get a very old one. Clesters in N.C. sells a weatherstrip that is a little smaller and really works great. If you want one I'll try to find their #

1 - 9 of 9 Posts