Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 69 Camaro with OER Console gauges. I understand they have the same as factory specs. I’m already wired to the intake manifold and am locked into using a 3/8 NPT sender as the 1/2 NPT port is blocked by my upper radiator hose. Does anyone know where I might find a sender with the correct specs to give me accurate temperature reading?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You can use a 90 degree 1/2" to 3/8" NPT adapter so the sender will clear the radiator hose...or replace the T stat housing with a taller one

I bought the NPT stuff on Amazon and have also picked others up at auto part stores when I plumed in OP & water senders but also preserved the dash light senders to work also

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Craig, thanks for listing that thread and your recommendation on the sender. I had no luck searching for this – I must have been using the wrong key words. I’ve ordered that sender and am excited to give it a try. I will check the gauge when my electric fan kicks on and that should tell me when it has hit 180° on the display. That will give me the reference point that I need. Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your welcome and hope it helps you out. I struggled with this for some time and finally ran into that thread.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SoCal, thanks for your idea on the temperature sender issue. I like the idea of a different Thermostat housing although I’m a little worried if my radiator hose will work – I’ve had trouble getting the right one as I’m using a big block radiator for my small block. I am going to try out a different sender but if it doesn’t work accurately I’m going to give this a try.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
SoCal, thanks for your idea on the temperature sender issue. I like the idea of a different Thermostat housing although I’m a little worried if my radiator hose will work – I’ve had trouble getting the right one as I’m using a big block radiator for my small block.
I also have a BB (23") radiator with a SB (327). The only coolant port I have is top DS of my Edelbrock manifold. Nothing on the heads so when I added a gauge pod under dash (OP, water, tach) I also wanted to preserve the oil & water light function on the dash gauges. I used brass NPT fitting to do this. With the brass "T" now going into the only 1/2" NPT port on manifold and the 3/8" sender on top of that and original 1/2" sender now mounted horizonal on the brass T the T stat housing would not bolt on as this combo was in the way. The other issue was the oil fill tube on manifold I needed to point the new higher T stat housing so the radiator hose would clear that fill tube. I bought a taller, swivel, T stat housing so I could "angle" away the radiator hose slightly to clear the senders and oil fill tube. The radiator hose I used was just a replacement hose from Autozone was a Dayco E70537. I actually needed to cut about 1/2" off it. The AC Delco hose which fit fine with just stock dash light sender only went on radiator & T stat nipples just enough to get the clamp on and I felt it was just not enough and may pull off if engine torque moved the motor some

I would prefer to have a 2nd water port so the senders are more "in" the water passages. I have compared the new under dash temp gauge reading to IR temp gun readings. The gauge reads about 10 degrees lower than actual but since I know this is not a problem.

For oil pressure I used 1/8" NPT T going into the one oil port hole rear of block and then a 45 degree fitting off of that to angle the new larger oil pressure gauge sender so it would clear the coil. Its all tucked nicely back of motor and both dash lights and under dash gauges work

Pics of Temp senders

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SoCal,
Thanks for all this info on your set up. Sounds like you’ve been busy engineering solutions to fit your tough situation. I appreciate you giving the part number on the radiator hose and the pics. It’s great getting advice – it’s even better when you get an exact solution that’s worked out for someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts