Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started tearing down the front end to install QA1 Upper/lower control arms and coil overs. First side I pulled down is drivers side, Got everything disconnected, lower arm removed, no problems, go to remove the upper arm and low and behold the shaft with arm on it wont clear the headers on the BBC. I dont want to cut the bolts shorter just yet, because I have a feeling that could come back to bite me.
How difficult is it to remove the splined bolts from the frame assembly? I dont want to bang or pry against the ceramic coated headers. Im thinking of cutting the CA to pieces to get out, I thought about removing bushings but that doesnt look like an option. If I butchered the bolts coming I can replace them but something simple would sure be a blessing.

· Premium Member
1,411 Posts
On my car there wasn't enough space for the cross shaft to clear the manifolds. I was able to use a pry bar to "pop the studs out" and it didn't take too much leverage. Maybe there's a way of spreading the load so you don't scratch or dent the header tube or you might try to fit a c clamp over the stud with a socket on the bolt head side to press it out?

· Premium Member
6,402 Posts
They press out fairly easily. Try not to destroy them so they can be reused.

Don

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Just after I posted this I thought about the c clamp. I was looking for info on how hard the bolts were pressed in. Sound doable. Thanks

· Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: The C clamp worked. It was easier to get the clamp on rearward bolt using a 5/8 socket, once it popped the front part of the arm came right off with a little turn. In case anyone else has an issue, this worked for me. Thanks Jim and Don. Come on day after Thanksgiving. ;O)

· Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Use a long punch and hammer, they will come out. A little hard to get a good angle on a BB but better than cutting anything. You can do it. Just punch them out and back in later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts