Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Anybody have a pic of the bottom drain hole on a tulip? I repaired some rust on mine a while back and now read there is supposed to be a drain hole there. I still have the fender off and want to make sure its properly done so water doesnt sit in there. If anyone has a pic I'd appreciate it. Mine was rusted away and didnt know it was supposed to have one. I did a search but cant get a clear view. I can guess but figured I'd ask 1st.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What is a tulip hole?
Its the outer cowl panel on each side of the firewall . I have read many forum posts guys refering to them as the tulip panels. Yeah I dont really know what they are called. One on each side of the firewall. I dont know if there is a drain hole down the bottom or not.

Heres a pic.

I hope this clears up what the heck I'm talking about :) Hope someone can tell me if theres a drain hole somewhere on it down low. I dont have a pic of the side to post right now. I had some rust down the bottom but patched it up and may have sealed it solid when it needs a drain.

·
15,370 Posts
You're right... they're called tulip panels.
I don't see drain holes in the bottom of mine. Water is supposed to run through there, through the rockers and out the drain in the back. The bottoms of the tulips collect leaves and crap and rust out, but I don't think there were drains.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HwyStar,
Thanks alot for checking for me. I thought I read there was a drain hole there and looking closely at both my panels, I cant detrmine if there once was one or not.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I'm wondering (repairs ahead of me) if it would make sense to put a drain hole in? The drainage path to the back of the rockers isn't the greatest!

·
15,370 Posts
I thought about that a while back as well. I guess as long as the hole edges are protected somehow.... primed and painted inside and out, it would take longer for rust to begin there. I just see a hole as somewhere for rust to eat the bottom of the panel out again, as opposed to a solid panel. Then you have to worry about leaves and crud gunking up the hole again in the future.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Don't most new cars drain at the bottom of the tulip panel? Seems like sending the water through the rocker is what causes so many of them to rust out. Done right, I would think a hole at the bottom of the tulip panel would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't most new cars drain at the bottom of the tulip panel? Seems like sending the water through the rocker is what causes so many of them to rust out. Done right, I would think a hole at the bottom of the tulip panel would be a good idea.

I thought of it too and thought it was a good idea but read in my search that it wasnt engineered to work that way and should leave it alone. I'd rather have the water drip out the bottom of the tulup and maybe screw up a fender years down the road then the rocker. Fender is way easier to repair/replace. I replaced my outer rockers. Covered the inside good with POR15 before welding everything back together. I POR15'd the inners too after repairing what I could (which were not in the greatest condition but not bad enought to rip all apart). Dont want to ever do it again.
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems any water, from rain or washing, gets down the front cowl vent down the tulips and goes into the rockers and is supposed to exit out the back. Thats seems like a long way to go to evacuate the water. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if you could put something inside of the upper cowl panel to block the water travel down into the tulip panels. ???
It would have to go somewhere. I think a thoughtfully placed drain hole at the bottom of the tulip or there abouts taking some or all of the water and dumping it on the road instead of leaving it to find its way in/out of the rocker sounds logical....but I am no expert.

Maybe a drain with a nipple and a hose at the bottom of the tulip to evacuate the water so it doesnt fall on the fender? Just gotta make sure it doesnt get clogged....but then again if it did you would be where your at now.

I read guys doing this type of mod to the lower corners of the rear windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
We know the rocker design doesn't work and I too do not want to go through another repair.

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
The whole water evacuation design is good IF the car is driven soon after the water enters the system. When the car is driven air rushes through the system and blows out the water. Still giving the water an evacuation hole prior to it entering the rocker is a great idea that I will look into since I'm replacing my rockers/tulip panels right now.

·
Registered
601 Posts
actually drilling a hole and putting a tube in there is not a bad idea. cause leave it in fender and once in a while blow it out to make sure it is free. hmmm why i didnt think of that while is was doing my car.:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
HwyStar,
Thanks alot for checking for me. I thought I read there was a drain hole there and looking closely at both my panels, I cant detrmine if there once was one or not.

Thanks again
"FastFred" mentioned a drain hole in the tulip panel in a recent thread. The name of the thread was "unexpected rust", maybe you can contact him and pick his brain.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If anyone has put in a drain hole I would like to see some pictures. I too am getting into this part of my project and think it would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"FastFred" mentioned a drain hole in the tulip panel in a recent thread. The name of the thread was "unexpected rust", maybe you can contact him and pick his brain.

Thats the thread I originally read that started this post about the drain hole question.

I will PM him.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
If anyone has put in a drain hole I would like to see some pictures. I too am getting into this part of my project and think it would be a good idea.
Our cars came from the factory with drain holes at the bottom of the cowl air ducts. The holes are located at the lower rear corner of the air duct where the floor, duct, and rocker form a corner. The hole is actually in the floor panel which is part of the duct. Here are some pictures. They are the best I could get without putting the car on a lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts