Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a 1987 305 iroc z w/tpi. what's the correct way to set the timing? also, car won't crank when it's cold; if you hold accelerator pedal down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch it will crank. i'm a 60's and 70's chevy guy, and this is my first computer/tpi car i have owned so be gentle. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hows it going. When you say it wonk crank are you saying it won't even crank at all or it won't start. I would check out the throttle position sensor on the throttle body. It is located on the the left hand side of the throttle body right near the front. The only way I know how to time TPI engines is in one of the repair manuals. You have to stick a piece of wire in two of the dianostics pin holes to get acurate timing. Chiltons has a really good book on 3rd generation camaros. Hope this helps. Let me know.

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp

http://www.geocities.com/speedstar383/Team_Speedstar.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get yourself a Chilton or Haynes maintenance manual for the camaro. Will make things much easier. About the timing: To set base timing, You need to disconnect a wire that runs to the distributor. On my aftermarket wire harness it is on the passenger side just below the dist. It is a single weather pac connector. I'd imagine that the stock wiring is similar. Then it is just like timing the "old fashioned" way. You only have a static setting, the computer takes care of the rest.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree purchase a chiltons manual I have it for my car, and it has helped in many situations, but you might want to check out your computer, you say you have just purchased the car the previous owner may have put the wrong computer in. I know in 86' they had a different settup than the 87',88', or 89' wich had a different settup for the cold start
P.S. SORRY IF I CONFUSED YOU IN ANY WAY BUT I,M DRUNK RIGHT KNOW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts