Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.. yes i did search a lot and all over. However, I wasn't able to find any straightforward helpful info. and again.. I'm new to muscle cars, and don't have the same experience as you all.. so I'm turning for help. Sorry if some of the questions might come off as being ignorant .. anyways.

Some of you know my 68 SS build.. for those who don't, I did an LS2 swap with a 6speed T56. Previously had a 350ci. The work was done by a mechanic.. I believe the engine came off an 05-06 GTO. I use this car on weekends, street driven only, no drag or track.. just to enjoy driving it! The LS2 is great, but i do feel like I want to add a bit more power.. enough to give me a kick and make the drive more thrilling.

I'm a big fan of turbos (not superchargers) due to having multiple builds on JDM cars (more knowledge there).. I'm thinking of adding a single or twin turbos on my LS2? so here come my questions:

• How easy is it to drop in turbos on my Ls2?
  • What other parts are needed?
  • Do i need any modification done in the engine bay?
  • Single or Twin? (i live in a hot climate 8 months/yr)
-- Super silly justification, i would like a single just because most of my other builds are twin. I want to experience a good single (im aware of the lag vs twin).

UPDATE discussion: decided on a Cam swap instead of turbos - POST #9

I would appreciate any advice.. again.. my knowledge in muscles is very low.. you guys are my mentors lol. Thank you

·
Registered
366 Posts
You should spend some time over at LS1Tech forum, lots of forced induction LS guys hanging there.

While not what you want, a SC is an easier bolt on vs turbo. I suspect in a Gen I car just about everything will be custom on turbo and be pricy. A procharger will be far easier and likely less costly as well.

With a stock LS2 you will be limited on boost by factory pistons and rods. If you plan a lot of boost factor this in the cost as well. Your T56 will also need attention as boost goes up.

Have you considered a small shot of nitrous? 100 hp shot will wake up your LS and be safe if you pull timing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should spend some time over at LS1Tech forum, lots of forced induction LS guys hanging there.

While not what you want, a SC is an easier bolt on vs turbo. I suspect in a Gen I car just about everything will be custom on turbo and be pricy. A procharger will be far easier and likely less costly as well.

With a stock LS2 you will be limited on boost by factory pistons and rods. If you plan a lot of boost factor this in the cost as well. Your T56 will also need attention as boost goes up.

Have you considered a small shot of nitrous? 100 hp shot will wake up your LS and be safe if you pull timing.
I know sc are less costly.. but i got to admit .. i hate the “whine” lol. I’m pro for turbos lol.

I assumed the piston/rod upgrades. Din’t know about the t56 upgrades.. will read into that.

Regards to power, not looking for crazy +whp or boost. Just something to enjoy when kicking down. (15-17psi boost, maybe)

How much boost can a stock or minor upgraded Ls2 handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
14,718 Posts
Your stock lower end is good for about 6-9 psi boost with good fuel, you’ll need a fuel system upgrade, and more important a very good tune.

Also will need to change the cam to a boost designed cam.

15-17 you’ll be shopping for a new engine.

For what you want the best way to go would be a cam swap. If you have the stock LS cam a new BTR Stage 2 and tune will get you a safe 50-60 rwhp.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your stock lower end is good for about 6-9 psi boost with good fuel, you’ll need a fuel system upgrade, and more important a very good tune.

Also will need to change the cam to a boost designed cam.

15-17 you’ll be shopping for a new engine.

For what you want the best way to go would be a cam swap. If you have the stock LS cam a new BTR Stage 2 and tune will get you a safe 50-60 rwhp.
yeah 6-9 psi sounds ok with me, thanks for the heads up. would you by any chance have the item links on the recommended parts?

thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
That is not a forced induction cam. It is a natural aspirated cam that John suggested using instead of a turbo.....

Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
A lot of questions there.

There are 1 or 2 mass produced turbo kits for our cars. Some might say that's the easiest way, rather than having someone fab one up for you.

The FI and swap sections of LS1Tech are useful, and we have a 1st gen ls swap group on FB too.

I have a single in my car, custom kit:

·
14,718 Posts
That is not a forced induction cam. It is a natural aspirated cam that John suggested using instead of a turbo.....

Don
I was suggesting the cam swap and staying NA

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE Discussion: Cam swap , no turbos

hey again, i've decided to opt out on the Turbo option.. too much work / too little classic experts over here. I'm thinking of going with a Cam swap only on my stock LS2. Just looking for a little more power on my weekend drives.

open to suggestions. (Stock LS2 with 6spd T-56).

Questions:
  • Best cam swap? (brand / product link) someone suggested this above: BTR stg2
  • Is it a direct swap, do I need other parts installed with it?
  • How much more aprox WHP+ ?

·
14,718 Posts
You need other parts and more importantly good tuner. Imho you’re better to leave it alone.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need other parts and more importantly good tuner. Imho you’re better to leave it alone.
what other parts are needed? and yes i'll def have it retuned

·
14,718 Posts
Direct your query to BTR. They’ll tell you what other parts are needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
14,718 Posts
Thank you, just did as we speak..
I don't recall what engine you have. You say LS2. Is it an aluminum block or an Iron block that could be an LQ4 or LQ9?
What is the casting # on the heads?

Depending on the above and what cam you use you may also need to fly cut the piston for PTV clearance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't recall what engine you have. You say LS2. Is it an aluminum block or an Iron block that could be an LQ4 or LQ9?
What is the casting # on the heads?

Depending on the above and what cam you use you may also need to fly cut the piston for PTV clearance.
i wish i noted down all the details back then.. can the casting #s be "viewed" easily? or do i need to unscrew stuff? where exactly .. ill try to find out once im home from work and get back. Thank you

maybe this helps:

·
14,718 Posts
Number is cast on the top of the head towards the front and easy to see.

Like this

is the block iron or aluminum?

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
A cam swap in Saudi Arabia strikes me as a huge mistake and cluster in the making. Looking forward to your posts claiming your car doesn’t run worth a crap once the cam is swapped. I hope you have a competent tuner over there. I have my doubts based on the other issues you’ve had with basic repairs and troubleshooting...

Don

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A cam swap in Saudi Arabia strikes me as a huge mistake and cluster in the making. Looking forward to your posts claiming your car doesn’t run worth a crap once the cam is swapped. I hope you have a competent tuner over there. I have my doubts based on the other issues you’ve had with basic repairs and troubleshooting...

Don
Cam swap in saudi? Why is that a concern?

·
14,718 Posts
Cam swap in saudi? Why is that a concern?

Concern is finding a competent and experienced tuner. It's hard enough in the States. Lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts